Why the KX forks are better than the OEM forks?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Why the KX forks are better than the OEM forks?

Post by 2001kdx »

A properly set up OEM fork would be good and cheaper, right? If some of the KX fork guys could chime in on how it improved upon the original forks given they were set up correctly?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

We have 10 fold...

No fork flex (better control) / Has rebound settings (ability to dial the suspension in) / No underhang (no more sudden stops by getting hung up... i.e safer!)

Do you need more? :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

This is generally costing ebayers about... what $300-$400 total?
Considering this move, Though I'll have to try FRP springs first, $80!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

For late model stuff... sure.

I'm not trying to convince you... do what you want.... It solved all the issues I had with the stock forks in one mod. I am happy....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It certainly is a cost worth analyzing and perhaps not for everyone. Your riding level, area and desire to ride over your head without crashing (as much) are all to be considered. If a rider wanted to tool around on fireroads and fairly easy trails, then the stock forks are good if they are serviced correctly and sprung for the rider's weight. But if you like to kick it up a notch at least for part of every single ride, a ride is at least 50 miles for the day, you ride multiple times a month, enter a race type event every now and then, like to test you and your bike's ability on technical terrain, and keep up with your buddys then you would really benefit from the upgrade.

Finally, if you feel that your KDX needs more power then you really should consider suspension upgrades first. There's no better way to harm yourself than to strap on too much power for too little suspension. Even before the suspension and the power mods, I would recommend that money first be spent on quality riding gear that will provide the protection you will need to enjoy riding without hurting yourself.

Now, to your question; the ride is so vastly improved that it's hard to describe. Imagine riding over a field of stones, all about the size and shape of a softball up to a basketball in 3rd gear. Now imagine that you are floating over that same field. That's about the difference.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

If you are over 70 or just like farting around on a bike on an time or two then go get you some springs and change the oil.
I found after having the OEM forks professionally revalved and new springs with proper oil and level of oil they performed OK as long as you didn't push the bike two hard if you did fighting the flex of the fork in sand sucked even with a steering damper that didn't seem to work but the worst thing of all was the sudden pitch to the ground from the under hang of the forks grabbing some thing. HELLL my friends thought I was some erratic funny rider, they found it laughable the way my bike would just leap to the ground for no good reason. I lucked out or played it smart, got a set of 98 KX 250 forks with new seals , bushings and the OEM triple clamps for 110 including shipping, bought a wheel to match for 60 including shipping. 130 bucks for new springs, oil, supplies and machine work. 300 into the conversion, sold my KDX set up for 275. and now nobody is Laughing they just sit back with their jaws dropped trying to figure out what the heck I am riding and what makes it so unstoppable.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

What Krazy said ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Remember Jeff Fredette can win on the original forks with a few mods. Takes talent to ride well. The rest of us use a crutch or two.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

I had a chance to test ride my neighbors 05? crf 250x, pretty sure they use the showa usd. Are the kx usd forks similar to those on the honda? I probably should have paid more attention to the fork compliance, instead I was wondering where the guy was so I could get my bike back. He seemed to be having way more fun then I was.
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Properly sprung, valved and shimmed USD are way better than stock off the shelf untouched factory KX forks. Are the KX forks better than a CRF? If they are set-up correctly for you then yes they are better. That doesn't mean that the Showas on the CRF are not good, they too need tweaking for a particular rider. There are better forks out there than the 4-10 year old USD KX forks we use. But then the rear suspensions and frames on the new bikes are light years ahead of the old KDX too.

You might not need USD forks on your KDX unless as stated above, you ride hard and push PAST the limits of the stock
KDX forks.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I haven't had a chance to really push my new '04 KX125 forks yet (on my KDX200), but just playing around in the backyard has convinced me that the steering on my bike is much improved, even at low speeds. The steering is just more planted now than before, and it gives me more confidence.

It isn't a cheap mod (I'm in for almost $600 so far and I don't have a new odometer yet) so you should consider whether or not you go that route or use the money towards a different bike. Of course, replacing the front suspension is a MAJOR change to the dirtbike and so some cost should be expected.

Looking back on it, maybe a better route would be to respring your existing forks and see if that works for you. If not, maybe you should consider a different bike.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Don't forget the cool factor with the usd, the bike IMO looks better.
You can also say that YOU have made the mod (with the help of everybody on this site of course :wink: ) that is (to me at least) very gratifing, I learn a lot in the process about my suspension. (and still am) This will hopefully help me tune my suspenders just right and make me a better rider (lots of room for improvement there :roll: )
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What scheckeat said. (What the hell is a scheckaet anyway?!?)

Sitting in the pits or on the starting gate for a race and watching the guys around you realize you have a special Kawasaki gives them reason to pause. Speak in a foreign accent and they'll think you're a sponsored rider. That gets 'em to back down!! Ha!!
Jerry

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Speak in a foreign accent and they'll think you're a sponsored rider
:mrgreen: Dat's vat I'm counting on :supz:
What the hell is a scheckaet anyway?!?
what IS a SCHECKAET? :hmm: hard to describe, highschool nickname that means well ... absolutely nothing, nada, zilch, it just stuck that's all. nothin' as elaborate and meaningfull as SKI- PRO-3 :wink:
Last edited by scheckaet on 02:36 pm Feb 03 2007, edited 1 time in total.
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
wanaride wrote:I haven't had a chance to really push my new '04 KX125 forks yet (on my KDX200), but just playing around in the backyard has convinced me that the steering on my bike is much improved, even at low speeds. The steering is just more planted now than before, and it gives me more confidence.

It isn't a cheap mod (I'm in for almost $600 so far and I don't have a new odometer yet) so you should consider whether or not you go that route or use the money towards a different bike. Of course, replacing the front suspension is a MAJOR change to the dirtbike and so some cost should be expected.

Looking back on it, maybe a better route would be to respring your existing forks and see if that works for you. If not, maybe you should consider a different bike.
Sounds like some one needs to ride, I had some of the same thoughts about getting a more modern bike but not any more the KDX eats up anything that gets in its way, and at current is running tops I have had several complements on how perfect the the bike sounds and performs by fellow riders. I have in the past month put it up against 06 YZ250F, XC300, O7 modified WR450, 05 KX250 all with riders of my skill level or better and have no wants or wines, I just need to keep it on two wheels pointed in the right direction. The bike has its best moments in the gnarly stuff. A 6 grand bike sure not going to make me feel any more confident than I am now. I know now why Jeff Fredette has stuck with the KDX its an outstanding Machine :grin:
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.