2001 kx250 forks on a 1997 kdx 200

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
arranb

2001 kx250 forks on a 1997 kdx 200

Post by arranb »

hello, i'm new here and need some advice on my kdx 200. i just picked up this bike about a month ago. after riding it once i realized it needed different forks. i used to race motorcross and know how much better usd forks are. i just got a set of 2001 kx250 forks on ebay. has any one had any experienence putting them on a 97 kdx 200. will they work? (i sure hope so) any help would be appreciated. also anyone live in northeast ohio? looking to go riding soon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... YEAH! This entire forum is based off of the conversion process.

The best thing you can do is read the posts.... it will give you the jist of exactly how to perform the conversion....

BTW... WELCOME! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

We're in the same boat arranb :supz:
i just started a conversion from 05 200 fork to 01 KX fork.

BTW welcome!
Wilf
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Welcome! I have 01 Kx250 forks on my 97 200. I used the wheel, axle, and spacers from the same bike and used triple clamps from 99 kx125. The conversion is pretty straight forward do some reading most of your questions have most likely been covered, but if you have any specific questions ask away.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
arranb

Post by arranb »

thank you all so far. i haven't even recived the forks yet but figured i better start the research. im sure i'll have some questions soon.

thanks
1997 kdx 200
arranb

Post by arranb »

i work at a kia dealer and we have a bearing press. so today i pressed the steering stem out of both lower tripple trees. the stem is getting knurled right now at a machine shop. the stem is out of a 1997 kdx200 and the new fork set up is off a 2001 kx250, things seem to be going smoothly so far. i'll post more as i go on. thanks for all the help.

this site is awsome.
arranb

Post by arranb »

the forks are on the bike. the forks don't hit the tank and caliper mounts right up.everything is going smooth.
1997 kdx 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sweet! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Double Sweet! :supz: :supz:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

triple sweet! :supz: :supz: :supz:
arranb

Post by arranb »

weel everthing is almost done. i got new fork guards and guides, installed the new bearings, got a wheel and all is mounted. the only thing left is the space left between the stem and the new upper tripple tree. (where the bolt goes at the top there is play due to the stem being smaller than the hole in the tripple tree.) what should i do about this problem.
1997 kdx 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Some use shim stock...others have had a piece machined to fill that gap and act as the spacer between the upper trees and stem tube.

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****