01 CR125 forks on a 220

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

...and the best part....Aren't those Showas??
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
UFS207

Post by UFS207 »

Thanks for the replies and compliments.

Jeb: Going with a complete front-end is definately the ticket with most likely any swap. I probably would have tried to find a CR wheel and axle if I knew what all I'd have to do to make the KDX wheel work. I like the odometer but I could have lived without it. A bar mounted GPS will do the same thing and a whole lot more.

About the steering stop:

I didn't divot the original tab. The Slot in the custom stop is a fairly tight fit side to side (had to tap it on with a hammer). There is really no where for it to go other than straight back off. All the side to side forces are mainly against the walls of the inner slot.

I thought about alot of other ways to tackle this problem. You could drill and tap some big socket head cap screws into the tops of the stops on the lower clamp. The cap screw heads would be what hits the frame stop. If you know somebody that can TIG weld aluminum you could MAYBE build the stops on the clamp up and grind them as needed. Not sure about this, welding might distort the clamp enough to cause alignment problems though. I might try and score another clamp to test this out. Finally, you could gob some weld on the underside of the frame stop but this could very well distort the lower steering bearing bore.

Fuzzy, they are KYB's. Did I screw up? I honestly bought forks on a whim, didn't research anything really. I figured anything on a modern MX bike would be an improvement over the stock KDX forks, at least after proper setup.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

^ Showas vs. KYBs: no, you did not screw up. I believe what most who've done the conversion have are KYBs / Kayaba. Fuzzy probably knows something about the benefit of the Showas over the KYBs, but I doubt he meant that you got the wrong forks!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!