Mid-valves?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Mid-valves?

Post by Indawoods »

Note: Most 1995 thru 1997 use a "mid valve" located on the rebound piston (located on the pushrod assembly, fig 8). This works for supercross and some very aggressive pro riders but is too harsh for outdoor use. Race Tech recommends converting the "mid valve" back to the standard check plate design (just like the compression assembly). Remove the existing "mid valve" parts and reinstall the cupped washer, sleeve, check spring, check valve plate, rebound piston (recess towards check plate), rebound valving, base plate, and nut.

Taken from the KYB service document under the Reference section.
http://kdxrider.net/Kayaba.htm
Last edited by Indawoods on 09:26 pm Mar 29 2006, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You know, some would argue that removing the midvalve would be a step backwards in technology.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I just don't think it is perfected yet.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think it is just a lot harder to teach someone to tune a midvalve than it is to replace it with the RT check valve.

By the way, I think midvalves are 1995 and on, so that means it has already been on the market for 10.5 years.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Dunno if this is any help but I was reading it the other day.

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/dirtbike/s ... hp?t=11435

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

He did talk about the midvalve but didn't really say if it was replaced with a different design, reworked or replaced with a check plate. Anyone else find anything on this? I would like to get an idea on how to utilize the midvalve if at all possible.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Reading deeper... I guess they used a cylinder valve replacement kit. Question is... who is it made by? :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think the device mentioned is not for every single fork with a midvalve. I want to say that the YZ forks for a couple of years had some specific setup problem. I don't want to pour through all the various suspension forum threads, but you can. :-)

Good luck on the surgery.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Terry and I have spoken on a few occasions so post a question here and I will paste it on his part of the Aussie forum. I guarantee he will have some excellent feedback.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... the question would be... How do I utilize the midvalve in a 03 KX forks to eliminate the harshness? Gold Valves and....??????

Of course I haven't pulled them apart to even see if there is a midvalve in them. But assuming that they didn't go back on design I'm pretty sure they are in there. Damn... I need a manual! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You may want to, um, uh, ride them first before saying they are harsh. :grin:

Gold Valves are in the base valving. This means where the compression adjuster is, to make it simple. The midvalve and other goodies are up on the rod / within the cartridge / up around where that there bladder is, blah, blah, blah.

If you feel the need to spend $150 on Gold Valves without even riding the forks, then you and I need to be business partners. You handle the finance, and I will handle the spending. :lol:

I doubt a manual would break it down as far as you are talking about. It would be nice, though!

Section 16: Helpful and Complete Re-Valving Tips
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Watch here and tell me if I missed something.
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/dirtbike/s ... post127755

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The only reason I referenced Gold Valves is... EVERY tuner I have ever talked to says you need them. I never said I was gettin' 'em. :lol: And I am definately going to test thoroughly before making any kind of modifications to the forks. But I can almost guarantee that the shim stack will have to be modified. After all... these were designed for MX and I ride woods.... yes, almost exclusively. So, if they bottom out on a triple.... big deal! Not my cup 'o tea anyway. :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

KAY DEE EXER wrote:Watch here and tell me if I missed something.
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/dirtbike/s ... post127755
We'll just have to see what he says.... I'm off to the hospital now. It sucks 'cause now I have to wait to see what he has to say.... :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

My best wishes mate. :wink:

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good job, KAY DEE EXER.

Did EVERY tuner you ever spoke with also just happen to sale them and / or have them in stock? :lol:

Good job on testing everything before fooling with it. I think it would be good to have a baseline to compare to.

If my forks ever bottomed out over a triple, then I would tell whoever was riding my bike to take it easy.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Jason wrote:Did EVERY tuner you ever spoke with also just happen to sale them and / or have them in stock? :lol:
Why yes.... yes they did!!! How did you know???? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, gotta ride them stock so you can tell the improvement once they've been revalved....I can almost gaurantee they will be HARSH...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

http://www.motorcycle-forum.net/dirt/Ra ... 81586.html

I asked mxtuner about woods setups for the KX forks. Note the midvalve is disabled with a particular/certain washer placement.

Note the concern noted on this thread is KX harshness.

Note, too, the suggestion of gold valve stacks:
motorcycle forum net wrote: >> >I was going to shoot for a cL3 for the low speed and
>> >hoped I had some adjustability with the clicker.

>> cL3 is pretty soft.

I'd go with a cL5 and a cH1.

>> No, the thick washer is to disable the midvalve, which I would
>> suggest. All it does is make the forks harsh. E-mail me if you have
>> *any* questions on how to do this mod. You can screw up your
>> cartridges if you aren't careful.
The post is from Doug. KX 500. 'D&L' ???? Do we know this guy? Ski? It's 'Doug & Lori'...isn't it?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I just read that. Yup, that's him. I called his desk, then walked over to his office. He's out to lunch. (Like Always!!!)

Anyway, I'm sure he finally said the heck with it and that's why he took it to Race Tech and paid the man. When he gets back from lunch, I'll check with him on the mid-valve situation and see what he told the tech he wanted. What ever that was, that's what I got, because a few weeks after he got his back and I tried his bike out, I was down there with my VISA card.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!