Low cost odometer solution.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
grump99

Low cost odometer solution.

Post by grump99 »

I'll admit it, I'm cheap. After I did the fork conversion, I missed my odometer. The Trail-Tech units are very nice, but I wanted something that cost less. I found a $15 bicycle computer at a local shop and fit it to my bike.

I had to splice the wire (was too short) and drill the magnet holder to fit a larger size spoke. I glued the sensor to the top of the brake caliper and piggy-backed the wire on the brake line. I'm still kind of fussing with the wire route (looks a little sloppy yet).

The computer is actually pretty nice, it has a speedometer, trip distance, trip time, max speed as well as a clock in addition to the odometer. If you are on a budget and miss your odometer, this may be the way to go.

Here are a few pics:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/modules. ... _album.php

Tony :mrgreen:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Looks good. I've been thinking about doing something similar for a while.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Grump - thanks for sharing! Let us know how it manages after a thorough workout in the woods
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Will do. Thanks guys!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

That does look good - simple and cheap - I'll take two! :wink:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Thanks for the input! I miss my odo, too..and have been pondering wireless this, trailtech that etc.

I'd like an update after a few rides, too. I would imagine there will be a good bit more vibration compared to a bycicle (sic). Calipers get hot (mine do!). That might effect the sensor or mounting method.

Re: extended the wire...

That's something. I would think that would be critical..length of wire, type of wire and NO extra splices. It's 'just' wire? Not O2 depleted copper, braided, shielded super dyno-whoppin' stuff?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've done this route.
Just about every ride, I would trash the thing. Extended wires were a pain. Wireless won't reach. It is a good way to build your McGaiver skills though. There's several models on eBay to choose from, that's where I would buy mine for about $25. I finally bought a real enduro computer.

Good Luck!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
grump99

Post by grump99 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
Re: extended the wire...

That's something. I would think that would be critical..length of wire, type of wire and NO extra splices. It's 'just' wire? Not O2 depleted copper, braided, shielded super dyno-whoppin' stuff?
There were 2 small separate wires inside the outer insulation. When the magnet passes the sensor, I can hear a "click". I believe the magnet closes a simple circuit. Seems to work ok even with my amateur soldering job. I am concerned with the brake heating up and melting the epoxy, but so far it's held up.

I was out riding through some heavy brush today, and it held up fine. If I snag the wire, I'd just splice it again if possible. For such a cheap price, its ok if it ends up trashed. I just wanted an odometer so I can keep track for maintence etc. I will probably end up buying a Trail-Tech if this set up doesn't pan out. :grin:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

If you get some clear vinyl tubing and slit it down one side you can snap it around the brake line and slip the wires inside of it to keep it protected. A pair of zip ties at the top and bottom should keep it from coming off. If it gets ripped off your going to have bigger problems than just loosing your odo.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

In the next 8 weeks or so I will be ordering 2 Trailtech vapour units and matching billet mounts so if you want the cheapest supplier I eventually find let me know.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
grump99

Post by grump99 »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:If you get some clear vinyl tubing and slit it down one side you can snap it around the brake line and slip the wires inside of it to keep it protected. A pair of zip ties at the top and bottom should keep it from coming off. If it gets ripped off your going to have bigger problems than just loosing your odo.
That is very clever, I will have to do that. Thanks!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Reviving this old thread, anybody tried a wireless odo/speedo?
like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BICYCLE-BIKE-COMPUT ... dZViewItem

Would there be any issue with engine "noise interference" with the wireless?