Steering Stem, Pressed Down and Out or Up and Out?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

That's what I thought too. He'll read this and reply I'm sure.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

wow you guys are too hi tech
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

KAY DEE EXER wrote:
Indawoods wrote:The KX stem has a clip at the bottom to prevent it from being pressed too far in, so this alone gives you an indication of how it is pressed in. :wink:
In my gallery theres a photo off the stock KX bottom clamp, where's the clip you mention? Thanks
On the bottom...The gap between the stem and the clamp... look inbetween... you will see a thick flat C clip in there.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Inda, did you have the roll pin like Trev shows in his gallery on your lower tree?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That is on his KDX tree.... You'd have to ask m0rie....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My mistake. I thought that was the KX clamp. Guess I should learn to read his captions or something. I'm going to use the photo and take my lower KX tree with my KDX stem and have a local shop install a pin for me. Just some insureance to the knurling now used to keep the stem snug.
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

On the KX bottom clamp there is not even a 1mm gap between the stem and the hole it lives in. I can't see how a c/clip could fit in that tiny gap. There is no clip visible at all. :cry:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Press it out... then you will see what I'm talking about. On second thought... I still have my KX stem... I will take a pic of it today...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

No problem. So you can't actually see it until the stem is pressed out?

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."