New Fork Problem.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Black fenders from http://www.frpoffroad.com
The rear ain't cheap. I removed mine because, just like a black car, too hard to keep looking good. The green is much easier to keep looking like new.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thanks Skipro, I've looked around and could'nt find any rear fenders. I was thinking about picking up one of those Motard fenders from acerbis but I don't like the vents on the backside of the fender.

Jon.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I got my clamps on ebay for $20. No stem...but I don't need the stem. Well.. there was the + of shipping.......
Last edited by canyncarvr on 11:22 am Feb 23 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Well I ordered my front and rear fender and a pipe guard.

Now all's left is the front end parts.

Jon.
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

Sorry I'm joining this thread a bit late but I just saw that some of you were referring to my front end swap. 2003 220 with 1997 kx forks, kdx caliper.

No knurling was required for the kdx stem swap. Over 16000 pounds of pressure was required to press in the kdx stem in the kx lower clamp. That thing isn't going anywhere :roll: .

Jafo, consider installing a greasing zerk on the steering head in the middle of the swap. I know, I know, this is another debate. I installed greasing zerks everywhere and I can now tell you that this is the only zerk worth installing. Caution: I remember CC expressing a different point of view though a long time ago on the other forum... I also remember him saying that its wasn't worth the effort to do to a front end swap. Bla bla bla just raise the oil level, install stiffer springs.... :wink: Only fouls don't change their minds. That tells me that CC aint a foul!

Good luck.
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thanks for all the insite. I'm going to try to get all '97 stuff to match up with the forks ect. We'll see how it comes out.

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

CC's change of heart on the forks validates me. I feel complete.

Now to start getting him to consider an auto clutch.

Seriously, I really value his opinions and inputs! Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Carvr!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

All together now...

One day at a time....

Let him get the forks installed and not hung up in a few ruts, then start on him about the auto clutch. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

:lol: :partyman:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

cc wrote:? It isn't worth the effort?

I NEVER said that....and I'll never say it again!! ;)

It is hard to justify $$-wise. I've spent a good deal of those $$ on the oem setup to get them to do what I want..and that includes not at all feeling the little stuff (like Ski says he feels a lot with his KX setup).

It's a matter of progression over time I 'spose. The bike runs so well now that I can fairly easily get up 'stuff' I would have never even attempted a year or two ago. I wouldn't have made it...so why bother? :cry: This sort of 'stuff' is usually a rutted, rooted mess. So....now that I find myself 'there' more often, the oem forks are showing themselves more often to be a big PITA.

...still haven't heard word one from the clown I bought the KX wheel from. It's been a week.......

re: Stem tube zerk

Somewhere..in one of these confused threads...Ski makes the point of putting something in the tube to take up space so you don't have to fill the whole space with grease. That's a good tip.

What I don't care for about the tube-zerk process is the goo you get on the front fender as a result. On a hot day, you're going to have a mess. Well, that's not my experience..cuz I haven't zerked my bike. I've read that complaint from other riders that have done it..and it makes sense to me that it's going to be messy.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 12:03 pm Feb 23 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have a little grease "runout" or whatever it is called, around the top of my bottom triple clamp. If I have a little now, I can imagine how it would be with a bunch in the head tube. Yuck.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I zerked my front stem and back filled the thing with a chunk of foam used to insulate hot water pipes. I cut a piece to fit arount the stem and it fills up most of the space in there. Then when you grease up, you're not using but a portion of a cartridge. Should save a bit of weight that way?

Anyway, I've found, as CC indicated, that it is a bit of a glop on the fender but Hey! It is a dirtbike afterall. I wipe mine off after every ride with a papertowel. Not hard to do. Besides, if you try it and don't like it, then no harm, stop using the thing. A mod for under a buck to try? I say why not give it a try?

Now, the main purpose, in my opinion is to displace any spot that water might migrate into. It does that. It does not force enough grease through the bearings to flush and fill them properly. So if you are thinking that this mod will ensure you never have to take the front stem out for a bearing service, you would be wrong. Service your bearings as you always should, and know that between services, there is no space for water inside that area of the bike.
Jerry

johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

Yes it is messy. So? Riding a bike is messy. I opted for peace of mind. And that's all I have to say about that!
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

After working on wsjkawasaki's '97 KDX220, it seems maybe the steering stem can withstand neglect better than the other bearings. He bought the bike a few weeks back, and it desperately needed front / rear wheel bearings, linkage bearings (all) and swingarm bearings. His steering stem bearings looked great. It was weird. I was thinking he was going to get a full ride on Team PivotWorks.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I think I have found a whole front end setup! It's a '99 KX 250, the whole thing this time! Now I hope that he still has it. :neutral:

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Well the 99 set was sold, but i found a whole front end from a '96 and bought it! $300 plus shipping and the forks have been rebuilt. Now just have to get the stuff and head to the machine shop. Happy Day!!!!! I feel like that guy in the commercial riding his lawnmower. He's saying he has a $300,000. dollar house a new car nad new van , 10 kids, and totally in debt over his head. All this while puting on a fake smile.

Jon.