New Fork Problem.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

New Fork Problem.

Post by jafo »

I knew this would'nt work out with no bumps in the road. I got those KX250 Forks today. They look great but the top of the forks that go into the triple tree are way to big for the KDX tree. Am I missing something or will they some how fit? My stock forks are 43 mm circumfrence, the KX forks are 53 mm circumfrence. Any ideas? Should I have gotten the triple tree with the KX forks?

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... of course you need the matching trees. Press out the stem on the KDX trees and press it into the KX trees. Have you read all the posts on how to do this?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

No, I assumed it was a simple fork change, woops! Slide the old ones out and the new ones in. I guess I'll have to shop for a set of clamps. I e-mailed the guy I bought the forks from to see if he has the clamps available.

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Oh well, whats another around $400? I found some brand new triple tree assemblies in a couple different catalogs. May just go that route. Boy I feel stupid! I just had a feeling that there was something missing or that I was forgetting. I did'nt realise how much larger the KX forks would be than the KDX forks. If you know anyone that has a set ot clamps for a 97 KX for sale let me know. Meanwhile I'll just ride the bike and enjoy.

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

OK went back and read some posts. It appears that someone here has put a '97 front end on thier bike. So just to get it straight in my head, the KDX stem needs to be removed from the original KDX clamps and put into the KX clamps with no knurling required along with the bearings. Then it's a just a matter of installing everything on the bike. I did read one thing that concerned me, about the front wheel axle but can't recall the year of bike the front end came off of. But I compaired the front forks and it looks like everything will or should swap over. Does this sound right?

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

No knurling??

How does the front wheel and front brake caliper/pads match up? What about brake hose length?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You need a complete KX front end of the same year to do this. Your KDX caliper will work fine though. Read Skipro3's post on how to do this and you will be on the right track. Your stem will need knurled. Just about any reputable machine shop will swap them out and knurl it for $25 or so.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I have'nt gotten that far yet. I was just taking a long glance at the two different forks and it appears that everything will fit.

The knurling part I got from post that Indawoods started about the conversion. It said he put on a '97 front end on his bike and did'nt require knurling the stem.

jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

http://kdx.woodsrider.net/viewtopic.php?t=146&start=0

For the record.... I put an 03 frontend on my bike and it did require knurling.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Jonkdx220 is the one who done the convert to his bike. I need to look further into this and read alittle more. He was going off of Skipro's conversion steps.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

This is not your casual modification. Gather all the info you can before you start buying parts and trying to fit things together. This could mean your life in the end.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Yes thats the topic I'm refering to Indawoods. Johnkdx220 had a post in that topic that head did'nt have to knurl the '97 kx stem.

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Ok now your scar'n me. :lol:

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you can get away without knurling... your probably better off and I hope it goes that way for ya. But you will need a 97 wheel and axle at the very least.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

OK. I think what I'm going to do is not get in a big hurry and just collect parts and make sure what I'm getting is what I need. I went into this thinking it was just a fork swap. If the stem fits ok but if it does'nt I'll be sure to get it knurled. I got the forks so I should be able to come up with the rest over time. I'll just comb E-Bay everyday for the rest of the parts. Like I said before, It's a nice bike now so I'll just ride it the way it is and do the conversion when I have all necessary parts. best to not get in a hurry. Thanks for your help Indawoods :prayer:

By the way I bid on some graphics on E-bay. They are pretty much what I was looking for. They just cover the radiator shrouds.

Oh one other question. The knurling part on the stem. What do they knurl? The stem or the lower clamp or both? How does it hold up?

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's my understanding (I wasn't there) that they knurl the stem, stronger material. It is held by the knurkling and high strength Loc-Tite. It will not go anywhere since it is a taper fit and you nut the top. No worries!

BTW... you need stock bottom clamps or else the taper and size may be different.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

These 250 forks are tapered that I have. I plan on getting the whole front end if possible. There is a boneyard down the highway from me that has nothing but motorcycles. If I ever get a day off, I'll head down there to see if they can help me out.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I was talking about the stem taper where it's pressed in. Check eBay often... they come up all the time. CC got a great deal on his... didn't even have to press the KX stem out. It was done for him and no one else bid on 'em 'cause...who wants a KX clamp set without a stem! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Do indeed check eBay for parts. The triple clamps can be had for as little as $19. (Yea CC!!)

Keep working on getting your parts and follow the advice and instructions posted in various threads here. If you have troubles, just ask, we'll point you in the right direction just as Inda and Jason already have.
CC is getting his stuff together now, so look for posts from him as he gets his together too.
Good Luck and let know how it turns out!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I've been checking out he gallery looking at indawoods,m and your bikes. Very nice. I have wanted to get front and rear black fenders myself. That just looks tuff. Wish I could find some black rear fenders with the tail lights, I'd like to keep my tail light and headlight intact. where'd you get your black plastic?

I'm checking everyday for those clamps and front end parts. I could pick up a '99 KX 125 bike for $1500. It'd have everything I need and could just part the rest out. I don't know how much money I'd get back out of the parts, but it's an option I'm exploring. In the meanwhile. I'm watching E-bay. I also E-mailed the seller of the forks to see if he has any of the parts I'm looking for but he has'nt responded yet.

Jon.