Modifying stock KDX USD forks?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
vinny

Modifying stock KDX USD forks?

Post by vinny »

My 93 has usd forks as you all know. I plan on servicing them as soon as I recieve my service manuel I got off Ebay. I don't want to do anything radical like a KX swap so what are my options? All I want is a good servicing and maybe a little more like maybe stiffer springs or thicker oil. I weigh 205 if that is any help.

Vinny
FRYSPEED

Post by FRYSPEED »

I had the usd forks on mine before I fitted KXF forks on.If you want to stick with them then fitting stiffer springs will help.I modified the shim stack on mine by removing one of the shims.this reduced the compression damping by around 20% and made a noticable difference.Or you could spend your dosh on a KX front end.The clamps you have can be machined out to accept the KX forks keeping costs down.The forks from a YZ125 89 are a 41mm fork and I was told they are the same clamp size as the 93 kdx so should fit.But check it out first.The YZ forks are adjustable for rebound and compression.I fitted the KDX front wheel in the KXF forks with the original axle and just had to make spacers and made a new monting bracket for the caliper.I like keeping things cheap!Hope these options help.
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Look on the Race-tech website they should have stiffer springs.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

I have a 93 200 with the USD Forks that work IMHO quite well. First I put in a set of .42kg/mm springs I ordered from Fredette at that same time I put Mobil 1 ATF (Approx 7.5wt) in them. Next I tried removing one shim from the stack and had fair results doing that. Finally I put in a set of Gold Valves from Race Tech (The 93 & 94 use the same Gold Valves as the 95 & up conventionals) and tried the soft valving. The results were night and day difference. The harsh hi-speed action was gone, you know when your hauling A.. down a rocky road and the small stutters transmit into your hands. Also slamming over roots and such became much smoother along with not deflecting off baseball size rocks. I'm sure that with a little fine tuning with different fluid weights you could dial in the rebound you like. You can also adjust the bottoming resistance by varying the fluid level. It just takes time.
Good luck with your forks.
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200