Other triple Clamps.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
motorhed220

Other triple Clamps.

Post by motorhed220 »

So, the dude who did the 500 USD conversion said he use YZ triple Clamps!?!? how is that possible?

If he did it, does that mean that if i found Clamps of another make that fit, then i can do it to???

Sounds pretty stupid of a question...but its hard fro me to see a Kawasaki KX with Yamaha parts on it....

Anyone know what other brands fit on the KDX besides Kawasaki's?

Does that mean i can use forks frm anyother bike??? Ie Honda forks...Yamaha Forks...Suzuki Forks...ANY other brand??? or is it just the triple clamps?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Well,
If the fork outside diameters are the same....KYB's were pretty much the same for both yamaha and kawa until 2002 I think...
I had ordered Kawa triples from Ebay three weeks ago and they still haven't come so I used a set of yamaha I already had - and frankly, from what I've read here, they might just work better. Height-wise they work perfectly, the have a tank relief that is just about perfect (I did widen the frame stop by about 5/16 each side) and I filed the TC stops to match. The stem to fork geometry was identical to the KDX. I don't know if that is true with KX parts... I'll know if it ever comes in the mail. LOL.

I'd be willing to be that most japanese companies use the same subcontractors for things like fork and triple clamps, so what's the difference?
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:Well,
I'd be willing to be that most japanese companies use the same subcontractors for things like fork and triple clamps, so what's the difference?
Difference is just the specs and dimensions are different!! :grin: Same manufacturing companies - but they build it to "my" specs - says each of the big bike manufactures. But I agree with you in that there are a number of different options available for people wanting to change their forks. These less documented conversions may require a few different modifications from the well documented KX conversion.

We now have your conversion experience with the KX500 forks/Yamaha TT and modified KX 500 front wheel. My conversion experience with CR 125 forks/KX TT and CR250 wheel. And a bunch of KX front end conversions.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: If the diameter of the clamps is the same, they will work.

Well...the fork tubes will fit, anyway.

There are some other things to consider.

Thickness of the bottom clamp? That will determine how well (or if) the KDX stem fits.

Obviously the stem HOLE may be considerably different, too. That can be resolved any number of ways if too big OR too small.

The bearing seat may be different. That may make you miss your frame stops altogether.

Offset? That is going to effect fork clearance and maybe wheel fitment. Why would you expect a set of Yamaha clamps to mate with a KX wheel? Yeah...they might. They might not, too.

Most anything can 'fit' if you have the requisite skill. You can bolt up your KDX wheel to a KX fork if you can make your own axle!

The diameter of the tube holes in the clamps is really the least of your worries if you're shopping for something that works.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

CC - You surely said it better than I did.

Other possibilities do exist but if you do go outside of what someone has done before you and documented - you may very well end up thinking - What the HE77 was I thinking??!! As you throw the parts in the scrap bin or go to the hassel of reselling the parts on E-Bay.

P.S. There are certainly a number of ways to adapt most things to fit but if it requires much machine work you could easily double or triple the average cost of the conversion.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Where's the fun in just doing what others do?
:twisted: :mrgreen:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:Where's the fun in just doing what others do?
:twisted: :mrgreen:
That was my thought also when I changed out our forks - actually I wanted to go with convential Showas forks but they keep getting bid up to high for me. So after about 4 months of internet watching/bidding I went with Honda KYBs since all you guys were snapping up the KX front ends.

Doing what others have done and documented before you is good if you want to have all the parts on hand and make the change over to the new forks a two hour swap. If you have a month or 2 to perform the swap almost anything is possible.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The first KDX with USD forks I ever heard of, was my riding buddy, Doug. He used the Yamaha. I don't think he needed to press stems either. I think he just used the Yamaha T-clamps with that stem. I'll ask him tomorrow. The only thing I remember him having trouble with the Yamaha forks was getting his brake caliper to mount up right. The axle and wheel fit fine. So, I guess that means a Yamaha's axle could fit the KX forks. Don't take my word for it though.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Skipro - Do you think he used a KX wheel or a Yamaha wheel??

I'm betting a Yamaha wheel/axle/forks/Trees - basically a yamaha front end with a green fender addition and modifications (drill new locating holes) to the caliper bracket to reuse his KDX caliper. I'm guessing that he would have had to change out his stem though??!!

I looked at a yamaha a friend had - with this in mind - and it appeared it could be made to work fairly easy. Athough like most things - the devil is in the details!!

How is the new house coming?? I check every now and again in your galley for updates.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

He used the KDX wheel I think. I seem to remember he was able to use the KDX odometer. I'll ask him today about all the particulars and get back to you.

On the house; I'm posting reports on my origonal thread titled "I'll be off for a while" Scroll to the end of it here:
http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=40
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
berto2us

Post by berto2us »

skipro3, did you find out anything on the yz front on kdx/
thanks
Rob
DFW, Texas
2002 KDX 200