What else won't carry over?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

What else won't carry over?

Post by wanaride »

I have found out that the KDX odometer can't be used on a KX front end. While assembling the KX front end on my KDX, I cannot find any mounting locations for the KDX headlight on my new KX triple clamp. I'm worried that I won't be able to use my KDX headlight with the new KX front end. Am I missing something simple?

What else won't carry over from the KDX onto the new KX front end? I haven't fitted it up yet, but will I need to get a new mounting bracket for my Scotts stabilizer??
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Confirmed...the Scotts stabilizer bracket won't fit. I will have to order a new bracket in order to use my stabilizer. New odometer, probable new headlight, and now this. Joy.

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hey wana....

We already been through all that..... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You should be able to use your headlight with some new straps. Or zip tie it onto the fork tubes.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Sorry to piss and moan, I just didn't see this coming. Guess I didn't read everything after all! Well, I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one who discovered all of this after the fact. At least I don't HAVE to get a new headlight (what are those "new straps" Morie?), but I don't know how to make my Scotts fit without a $64.95 KX125 mounting bar. Oh well, this is still cheaper than that 250XCFW I've been wanting...

Before I order that part from Scotts, is there some easy way to make the stabilizer work that I just don't see yet?

I'm going to be happy with this when I'm through paying for it, right?? :oops:

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You HAVE to get the new Scotts mount.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

THANK YOU! That is exactly the kind of info I need. I notice your Scotts is oriented backwards...is that because of your enduro computer? I presume Scotts will send me the same kind of mount as yours if I indicate that I have a computer?

How did you avoid having to bow your crossbar? Is the reversed stabilizer the key?

I see the zip ties with your headlight, I can do that too.

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You can buy the replacement straps that UFO or Acerbis sells for their headlights and adapt them to the stock headlight shell.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... reverse mount for the computer... I do believe this allows to run the standard CR-Hi bars. You do have to tell them.... If you are going to reverse mount your Scotts, you will need the arm puller also.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Thanks guys!! I called Scotts and ordered the KX mounting bracket and the link arm puller so I can reverse the stabilizer.

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
sluggo69

scotts

Post by sluggo69 »

my scotts fit perfectly .all i had to do was extend the pin up about .5 an inch to meet up with the arm. but i did already have the scotts/protaper kit before the conversion.i used the scotts bar mounts on the kx top clamp.
03 kdx/kx200... my lil woods weapon
07 zuki ozark250...xmas present for my son
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The KDX bar mounts are at an angle and the KX bar mounts are more level with the trees.... how would you ever use the same top mount as on the KDX?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****