I HAVE WON THE FORKS !!! Woo Hoo !!!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

O.K. KX front end is on it's way to Trev!!!
UPS tracking can be monitored at:

http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/proc ... &track.y=7

Give it a day or so to get entered into the system. It should be on your front doorstep by Thursday, next week.

Trev; Sorry I could NOT get the fenders to fit into the box. It would have jacked the price way the heck up there. Limits on length, girth, weight, etc. pick-up or drop-off locations really made this an exercise. I am thrilled to be able to help you out with this. Maybe you will be the first (only?) guy in your country to have this mod!
Anyway, start looking for a wooden box, 48" x 24" x 6" and have a screwdriver ready to take the lid off.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

What sorta guy would pay out of his own pocket, to send a parcel 1000 miles away, to someone he's never met, with no guarantee he will see the $$$ again ??????????

An absolute freakin LEGEND, who else but Ski !!! You are a champion mate !!! :supz: I truely cannot say Thank You enough.

Don't forget to send me some details for payment so I can send it your way. No worries about the fenders I will get one sent over when I get the Airstryker.

FER SHORE I'm probably the first and only Aussie with the bling bling rack up front. I can't wait for it to arrive. I'm off to wait at the letterbox.. :rolleyes: :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The risk was initiated by you Trev. Who in their right mind sends hundreds of dollars worth of motorcycle parts to some Yank, in California yet, and expects to ever see them again?

Here's a couple of details on the package:
I took the springs out of the forks. To put them back in, remove the top fork cap. It threads onto the fork tube, of course, but it also threads onto a rod inside the forks, so when you unscrew it, be careful and don't drop the rod that the cap screws onto down into the fork. If you do, it shouldn't be too hard to fish it back up. With the cap off the tube, AND unscrewed from the internal rod, compress the fork and slide the spring over the rod. Screw the cap onto the rod and then the cap onto the fork tube. Don't forget to add oil. I recommend 7WT. Also, there is almost no preload on these forks to speak of when putting the cap onto the fork tube, so don't be surprised.
Now, of course, all this means nothing really, because like I said earlier, the fork seals leak and you will need to replace them. But if you can't wait and don't mind a little drool, then add your fork oil and give them a try. I'm betting you will need to install stiffer springs anyway so try them and then take apart to replace the seals if that's your desire.

For CC or anyone else who might know: When I had Trev's fork caps off and the spring out, I took the forks and while holding them upside down, pumped the oil out. I got 7 oz. from each leg. But here's the thing: While pumping, about mid stroke, I felt resistance, like oil dampening the action. I'm guessing that since there was no oil in there anymore, this dampening action is due to the "bladder"?.
(
If I understand it right, there isn't so much a bladder but rather seals that pressurize the fork leg during the second half of the fork compressing).
It was only felt on compression and wasn't felt on rebound.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

When I filled my forks with oil and stroked the rod to get the air out, I felt lots of resistance. I checked on the 03 forks and there is no bladder in them so therefor no sealing ring mid fork to remove. It is a simple midvalve issue if any at all.

Trev, Change the fork seals straight off.... you'll be glad you did. If your anything like me... I can't stand forks that leak because it is a simple procedure for the most part and I know you have the time if you are still healing.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What's the amount of oil you used Inda? What brand and weight too. (You probably have this somewhre's else but I'm lazy!)

I thought I read to fill up to 120mm from the top of a compressed forkleg without the spring in it?
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Didn't go by amount...went by level... 135mm from the top, this way I can always add. 5wt Honda Showa/KYB. 120mm would work for the track... but for woods... less is more!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey Trev, your forks and wheel are taking a pretty nice little vacation along the way. Looks like they stopped over in Hawaii. Ha!!
Jerry

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i used racetech 2.5-5 at 110 from top in mine when i put the .42's in. the range is 100-150. i wouldnt put less oil in just for the woods.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thanks for the info Ski. I'm organizing to have the forks revalved, resealed and reoiled before I fit them. Possibly new springs too.

Re Hawaii... Half their luck, I wish I could be holidaying there. I can picture it now...

New forks and wheel casually sunbaking on the beach...

I still curious where I have to pay ??? Ski ??? :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Hey Ski.... What about Western Union money transfer ???

I don't mind sending you over a money order but I was just hesitant because of the time and safety issues involved.

It looks like the package is on Aussie soil !!!!!!

Just wondering did they send over the bars like she said ??

Another thing that bothers me is you say the seals are stuffed which I beleive totally but this is what she said;

Everything was completely re-done in the forks. AND....

SUSPENSION WORKS. SPRINGS AND SEALS. THIS FRONT END IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION.

So I wonder if stuffing them into whatever they were packed to you in possibly blew the seals. Or was the explaination from the seller abit 'imaginative' ???

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hi Trev,
Yup, their in your world now.
I kept all the parts in their origonal condition I received them in, other than removing the tire and the springs for ease of shipment. That way, you can judge for yourself if the product was as advertised. She didn't wipe down any of the parts, which is a good thing as you can tell what condition they were when removed from the bike. Inspect the axle bolts and pinch bolts to see if you are in agreement with the seller as to excellent condition. I don't know how to tell if the springs and seals are stock or aftermarket. The oil was about 7 oz per leg. After draining and setting overnight, there was a bit of sludge sitting in the bottom of the container after siponing off the oil. These forks were due for an oil change. Not past due, but still due. There should be a residual amount of oil in each leg for you to inspect as well. The forks were shipped in their own box, seperate from the wheel and not compressed. No way shipping caused any phyisical damage on their way from her place to mine. The bars are included but they are tweeked just a bit. Lay flat onto a smooth surface and you can see they rock about 1/2 inch or so. Not bad, a vise will straighten them out. Based on her statement of excellent condition, I think you might be able to convince her to recoup some of your shipping costs because of the fork seals, condition of the bolt heads and the bars. I don't want to cause you any worries. These are nice forks with a great wheel but they are used and not in showroom condition. With a simple cleanup and new plasic guards, a couple of pristine bolts, steel wool the spokes and a fresh tire, they will be impressive!!!!!! Use this info to work her concience over about her bold "EXCELLENT CONDITION" statement.

Money order, check, what-ever is fine with me. I have paypal too if that works for you. The account is jheitman@jps(dot)net replace the (dot) with a . (period) if you want to use paypal. But don't worry about it. I'm in no hurry and I know you are good for it. Besides, I know where you live now!!! Ha!

I just checked the UPS tracking site.
I don't know what is meant from the UPS status site where it says,
" A HOLD HAS BEEN REQUESTED. PAYMENT MUST BE MADE PRIOR TO RELEASE;BROKERAGE RELEASED SHIPMENT. SHIPMENT IS SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY FOR FURTHER CLEARANCE."
The only thing I can think of is that customs is holding for some reason but I don't understand the payment part. I padded the weight to 64 pounds even though my UPS scale showed only 60 pounds so weight isn't the problem. I don't know what the brokerage stuff is either as we didn't use a brokerage for anything. Maybe this isn't a single statement but a cronological series of statements.
First: A hold has been requested.
Second: after the hold, a payment must be made prior to release. This may be some portion of the UPS billing that has to be transfered to another agency.
Third: Brokerage released shipment. That may mean someone has now collected their fee from UPS out of the funds I paid up front.
Fourth: Shipment is submitted to clearing agency for further clearance. That may mean it is now on to the next step in the process. I'll try and call UPS tomorrow about this and let you know what I find out.

This has been a real adventure and it isn't over yet. YOu will have a story to tell the rest of your life as the years go by and you bring out photos of the KDX you once customized. It should take at least two beers for the full telling and of course the listener always buys!!!!
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Well a little update about the brokerage fees, I haven't got a clue what I payed it FOR but I payed it as they told me I needed to before they could release it. I'll give them a call also.

EDIT****

They requested security fees, customs fees, GST and duty tax. Altogether about $120AU

Final cost;

Forks, wheel, clamps, axle, bars + shipping to California $395-us
Shipping from California to Australia $190-us
Taxes and fees in Australia $100-us
Total $685-us

Which is still along way off $1200-au for crappy 96 model fork legs.

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I bet the damn Brits have something to do with it! :mad: :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Thank God we aren't getting all the government we are paying for!

Does this mean you have them now? Hope it all arrived o.k. I declaired the contents of the box to be valued at $100. That means an item costing $100 dollars was charged $120 AU for ransom. Wow!!!
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

They are indeed in my hot little hands. They arrived early this morning (Wednesday). I will transfer the money over to you VIA Paypal first thing in the morning. Many, many Thanks Ski for your help with everything and of course your fine packaging. There's NO way they were going to get damaged. :supz:

Condition wise I'm not dissapointed. They are in no way excellent condition as stated but they are still pretty good. I'm wrapped. I was let down a bit to see the EMIG clamps consists of only the top clamp. Oh well not to worry.

Now comes the fun part !!!! Installation !!!!

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey, all right. Congratulations on getting the forks. Way to help out, skipro3! :supz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Check out the pic in my gallery of the top clamp. I gave it a polish. Now to get my stem pressed out....

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

skipro3 wrote:This has been a real adventure and it isn't over yet. YOu will have a story to tell the rest of your life as the years go by and you bring out photos of the KDX you once customized.
I'll just wheel the ol' girl outta the shed. After all the $$$ I am sinking into her she's going nowhere. I'll still have it to power my wheel chair when I'm 80. :rolleyes:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'll take that top clamp off your hands Trev... Let's see... If you gave it to me and with shipping and VAT it should only cost me $500 or so... right? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Glad everything is working out for you Trev.
Jerry