KX Caliper vs KDX Caliper

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

KX Caliper vs KDX Caliper

Post by bradf »

Has anyone used their KDX caliper then switched to a KX caliper? If so was there a significant improvement?
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

None for me
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No difference.... other than a casting for the KX brakeline nipple.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

O-Tay then. I had ideas of switching over but I am over it now.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

For improved front braking, try an oversized rotor kit. I loved mine; one finger braking is awesome. Take time to set it up right and practice with it or else your old mussle memory will have you doing stoppies!!

Also, try going to a stainless steel brake line. That alone is well worth the consistancy and ease in braking. Never fades as the fluid gets warm.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Well I WAS over it. Thanks Ski for bringing me back into the reality world of "more mods"!
I've always used 1 finger...even for braking. I also adjust the lever in so I don't have to reach as far. I was wonderin if the KX pistons were larger than the KDX and or if the KX master cylinder pumped more fluid per stroke to compensate. I wonder if you could use a KX master with a KDX caliper.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I think it's the same master cylinder. I used one off a honda since it's banjo fitting was at the rear of the cylinder. I kept breaking my line off at the cylinder. (less crashing is not an option). I can't understand why Kawasaki puts that fitting right up front when the same company makes Honda and mounts the fitting in a safer locale. Also, I didn't see any size differrence in the caliper end of things either. The rotor diameter did make a difference. Carvr always pointed out that it was more vulnerable since the larger rotor was closer to the ground, but I never had any trouble with it.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Does the kit reposition the caliper out?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes, it does.

I thought the two calipers (KX and KDX) were the same, excepting the casting differences for different line access as Inda already said.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

There is an adapter that repositions the caliper out further. It took me a while to figger it out since it didn't come with instructions, but I'm dumb; not lazy. Eventually even I figgered it out.
Jerry

kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Just something to consider; if you happen to ride in rocks a lot, the larger rotors are more prone to get bent out of shape. If your riding buddies carry a hammer, I guess it's OK tho :shock:
I ran oversized rotors on two bikes, both open-class - they really needed the stopping power to be able to stop like a stock KDX.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.