what if....

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
motorhed220

what if....

Post by motorhed220 »

ok this is a quikie...

Now say i got forks from 1996 up KX 250/125 for a 2005 KDX220...

now say i got a complete fork set up, and by complete i mean the WHOLE kit and cabboodle. This includes triple clamps, bar mounts, the ENTIRE set up minus the brakes and wheel/handle bars... Basically an entire KX front end...no cords nothing just the shocks tripple clamps/tree/neck thingy...

is there anything i will have to machine, replace, remake, fabricate etc that would otherwise hammper this conversion...

or is it siomly "snap on" or in a more politically correct sense "Bolt on" conversion...

Will the stock brake lines, and odometer cable fit nicly or am i buying new ones?

THANX Y'all!
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You are not going to get around having to swap the stems.

Odo and wheel will only work IF you have a custom axle made to use the KDX wheel.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

QuailChaser did a simple fabrication of pop-riveting some small aluminum angle stock to the left plastic fork guard to bolt on the brake line.

Other than that and the shim, that's all that I did in the bolt-on procedure.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

lets see mmm!!!! press out old stems, press in kdx stem and bolt er up just do a lot of reading and the details will fill in.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

what do u mean by stems and stuff like that?
will this cost anything?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Have you read any of the conversion threads? :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

yea but i dont know what any of the stuff u dudes are talkin about is...like i dont have a KX wheel, and im in the prcess of getting 2003 KX 250 forks, stem and stuff. But by "custrom axel" do u just mean a longer one?
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Well, you either need a KX wheel, axle and spacers from the right year KX, or you can use your KDX wheel if you machine a custom axle/spacers.

I went the KX wheel/axle/spacers route on my conversion so I do not know the specifics of what is needed for the custom route.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

motorhed -

Since you read the threads and still do not understand the conversion process you should just get the kx wheel axle and spacers also.

The KX steering stem will have to be pressed out of the lower KX triple tree. And the KDX steering stem pressed out of the KDX lower triple tree, then the KDX steering stem will have to be pressed into the KX lower triple tree.

Other than that, I don't know of any simpler way to put it.

The pressing of the steering stems usually required a Machine shop to do it and on average cost $25 to do.

If you are still having problems understanding what is involved, it's possible someone on this board could do it for you for a nominal fee.

Just some food for thought.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Moto, I think you're making this too complicated.

Get the KX forks. You can get any year wheel you want, but the axle has to match the wheel. For an easy solution, match the wheel and axle year -- easier on your brain.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'But by "custrom axel" do u just mean a longer one?'

I'm guessing it's a custom axle you're referring to :wink: ...but, no. No one means 'just a longer one'.

You might consider a spark arrester over a silencer. Being quieter, it might save some bain dramage.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

lol, no im sure the noise is not doin it...i think i get what you are all saying...as for my wheel and axel, im gonna get my forks 1st, then go from there...Talk to you guys when that happnes k!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If you get the parts as an assembly..parts that are known to go together from the gitgo..you will be much better off.

That will keep you from buying an advertised '92 axle from a KX250' and after getting it, finding out it's not that at all.

Most people looking at just an axle wouldn't have a clue as to where it came from.

If the axle came off with 'that wheel' and that wheel has 'these spacers' and IT fit onto 'those forks' etc etc...

You get the idea....

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!