Odometer question

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Odometer question

Post by wanaride »

I'm planning to install 2004 KX125 forks/wheel on my KDX200. The forks haven't arrived yet, but looking over the KX wheel diagram on the Kawasaki website doesn't reveal an odometer cable hookup.

Is the odometer bye bye after a fork conversion?
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Yes. Need to go electronic.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Generally speaking, yes.

The KX wheel doesn't have the drive, for one thing.

It (USD conversion w/ODO) can be made to work. Phil (Canada) made a custom axle to fit his KDX wheel to the KX forks, so he kept (could have if he didn't) his ODO.

I don't have the ability to do such a thing.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Just get a TrailTech, or bicycle computer (cheap), and you'll still have alot more features than the stock odometer. The new Trailtech Vapor has a tach, outside temperature, coolant temperature, speedometer, clock, etc. Cool stuff. they have KDX specific kits too.
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Here's my Vapor, you might want the Endurance instead:

More info later.

Rick
Last edited by AZRickD on 09:04 pm Nov 29 2006, edited 1 time in total.
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

http://trailtech.net/store/computers.html

http://trailtech.net/store/computer_comparison.html

I have the Vapor and it works fine. I had to replace the first one but Trail Tech's service is OUTSTANDING. Very impressed. Tell Kelly I said so. The Vapor is about $100. They have two other models, the Endurance (also $100) and the Lynx ($80) for ATVs.

The Vapor gives temp readings (water and air) and has a tachometer as well as power input options the others lack.

BUT... the Vapor doesn't have "Enduro" mode calculations such as "Avg Speed," "Delta Distance," etc.

I don't know if that is important to you.

Rick
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

How difficult was the Vapor to hook up for the tach? I know the coolant temp, is just a fitting in the hose. I was thinking the Lynx was for bikes too, just w/ less features than the Vapor.

I agree on their service. I got a 2k-3 stator for my KTM from them. I wanted more lighting power, but I wanted it the same weight as the 2k-2 (original), which is less than the 2k-3. No problem for them. They also sent me a 4-stroke flywheel puller, which was wrong. I called them, and they simply sent me the proper tool, w/o asking me to send the other one back, or billing me for both until I sent the other one back. Good people.
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Hook up for the tach is simple.

"Ten loops of the red wire around the sparkplug wire."

I zip-tied mine in place to make sure it doesn't come off. Then the black wire to ground.

The Vapor has three settings to pick up proper rev readings from 2-stroke vs 4 stroke.

They are .5 PPR (pulse per revolution), 1 PPR, and 2 PPR. Apparently 2 PPR is the way to go.

Easy to set up the computer. Press and hold all three buttons for three seconds until it flashes and then release. The left button moves the position of the cursor while the right button moves the numbers up (or is that the other way around?). The center Mode button takes you to the next setting such as Farenheit or Centigrade; where to set your upshift warning lights, measuring your front tire size for MPH and distance measurements (I left mine at the default setting), MPH vs KPH, etc, etc.

The thing that might baffle you is how to power it up on the electrical system. It comes with a battery that is said to last a year, but I wouldn't trust that. What I finally did was to pull apart the connector to my lowbeam power and solder it there. As a result, I can have the Vapor powered on low beam and unpowered at no light or at high beam. It seemed poetic at the time.

Rick
Last edited by AZRickD on 11:59 pm Nov 29 2006, edited 1 time in total.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Wow, I'm glad I asked. Great info! Lord willing I'll plan to get a Vapor, if those forks ever come in...

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'll be ordering 2x Vapour units + mounting kits in February so if you find em cheaper than $110US please do tell...

Heres where I'm getting mine from.

http://www.dunesport.net/index.asp?Page ... ProdID=677
https://www.dunesport.net/index.asp?Pag ... ProdID=631

They give you a discount when you checkout also. They quoted me $300.61 for the units and mounts (plus $50US shipping fees). $430US was the cheapest I could find them locally (inc shipping).

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

By the way where is Phil??
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Last I heard from Phil was in May went he sent me the stuff so I could use my KDX wheel on the KX forks, for free!
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

He'll be back... Just busy with work and such.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

$110?

I paid $99 direct from Trail Tech.

Rick
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Unfortunately TrailTech only ships VIA UPS, that equates to more than double what USPS would charge.
USPS = $50US UPS = $115US :evil:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

How do you get water temp readings? More wires I assume?

And..what is the 'wireless' I've read about? It's wireless..from the wheel slug/sensor to the unit? It has a transmitter? More batteries?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:How do you get water temp readings? More wires I assume?

And..what is the 'wireless' I've read about? It's wireless..from the wheel slug/sensor to the unit? It has a transmitter? More batteries?
Water temp sensor goes into radiator hose/filler neck or similar. Yep with wires even.

The unit runs off batterries as well as AC/DC. I don't know what constitutes 'wireless' but it does have a wire from the front caliper to the unit as well as one to the sparky lead so I don't understand how its wireless either.

Nah no transmitters you can put ya tin-foil hat back in the cupboard. :wink:

AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Nothing in the Vapor is wireless. The web site mentioned something about a wireless control for the Endurance if you wanted to use certain functions.

The Vapor is a pretty straight-forward installation.

Most folks put the water temp sensor on the downside water tube, but I put mine on the tube that goes between both radiators just below the tank (I didn't want mine "hanging out there"). Probably not the best place to put it for temp accuracry if your water level gets low, as you'll be measuring the temperature of steam rather than water, but I haven't had a problem.

I suggest for a mount that you buy some 2x2 aluminum angle and cut to size (with an ample cut for the wires to drape out. One half of the 2x2 mounts the two screws of the Vapor, an the other mounts to the two holes in the KDX/KX top triple tree (or just one hole like my '98 KX TT). Counter-sinking for the two Vapor screws is advised.

Rick
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I wonder if the '08 KLX 450F will have a similar unit?

I have the Endurance model and it is on the original batteries still. It works very well for it's intended purpose. Nice unit but pricey once you start adding the billet mount.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

OK, another dumb question. Since I am installing KX triple clamps/forks on my KDX200, which Vapor kit do I get? The KX kit or the KDX kit??

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70