Done!!!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
grump99

Post by grump99 »

>|<>QBB<
KDXer wrote:I'm run mine at around an inch including fork cap.
Ok cool. So I am in the ballpark. With them raised 3/4" the front end felt "higher" than stock. At 1" the bike feels very close to stock balance when I just sit on it.

"Headshake" may be the wrong term. It seems to be more of a harshness at high speed over sharp bumps. I just installed seal savers when I changed the height (maybe I'm feeling sticktion). Also with the forks raised more, they become more vertical (is this rake?) and less able to soak up the square edges.

I guess I should check the rear sag to make sure not has gone out of spec too.

Thanks!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Stiction should not be rearing its head at..."high speed over sharp bumps".

However, (IMO) if the O-ring being taken off the Base Valve was actually designed to increase the bleed area for high speed compression hits - this harshness at high speed over sharp bumps is where the removal of the O-ring may come into play.

The question again is O-Ring or NO O-Ring??? :roll: :grin:

Same speed high speed sharp bumps without O-Ring and clickers left at current settings - Are you still a glutten for punishment??
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Ok, got it sorted out pretty good. Split the difference at 7/8". Went out 2 clicks on compression and in 2 clicks on rebound. Regained the smoothness and poise at high speed, soaked up the bumps better than at 1". Turning is better than at 3/4" (comparable to stock). Feels good and balanced overall. Checked the rear race sag and it was aprox. 100 mm.

Bear in mind that my upper clamp sits directly on top of the castle nut (no spacer or washer), so my numbers are probably inflated a little.

Tony :mrgreen:
grump99

Post by grump99 »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:Stiction should not be rearing its head at..."high speed over sharp bumps".

The question again is O-Ring or NO O-Ring??? :roll: :grin:

Same speed high speed sharp bumps without O-Ring and clickers left at current settings - Are you still a glutten for punishment??
Hehe, the next time I pull the forks for an oil change, I will pull the o-rings and post a ride report. :mrgreen:
grump99

Post by grump99 »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:Stiction should not be rearing its head at..."high speed over sharp bumps".
Yeah, looks like it was a geometry issue, since it was resolved by lowering the forks a bit.