All this FORK talk....

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXer
Supporting Member

All this FORK talk....

Post by KDXer »

Its got me searching the entire country for a set of new-ish KX forks, with very little luck. The best I can find is a 96 KX250. I can get the top and bottom triples, forks and front wheel for a whopping $1200. :eek:
Just to make sure I'm on the right track can someone verify that all I need is;
clamps with stem (top & bottom)
fork legs
wheel and axle etc.
Its alot of cash for 10 year old goodies so I just wanna check I'm not missing anything here. Thanks all

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

And maybe caliper.... but yeah... that's pretty complete. :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Oh I thought my KDX caliper would do ??? Im silly. Sorry

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It may... but better make sure!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What's the conversion rate between Roo money and Yankee change?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Its $1 AUD = $0.7852 US
Or $1200 AUD = $942 US

I could probably find a 96-ish KX125 complete for $1500 so I'm still hunting around.
Last edited by KDXer on 11:15 pm Feb 13 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sounds a little steep KAYDEE!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

OOOOOH Yeah, your not wrong mate. I nearly had a heart attack when he told me the price. Look at the deals you can get over there. I could almost get a set shipped from the US for cheaper than what I'm looking at.

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey, I've got a thought..... Make a trip to the States for shopping. Sounds like it might pay the airline ticket!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

MMMMMMM... Shopping List

KX Fork setup !!!
RB Air Stryker with finger A/S of course
A bit of head work would be nice too
EFM auto clutch
Maier rear guard
Tech 10's (they're about half the price they are here).

Here's just a few of the things I want to do but I am limited with my options.
After a few years of reading all your ride reports I really couldn't come over there bikeless, I would never forgive myself !!! :rolleyes:

lankytim

Post by lankytim »

I saw a set of KX125 forks on Fiji's eBay for 120,000,000 small shells plus an old goat. :razz:

It's true though, you and I have to deal with the bad end of the stick, Trev. Damn those smart Japanese marketing boffins that turn the supply and demand rule around to still make things more expensive where there is less demand for them! :rolleyes:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Well, if there is anything I can do over on this end of the pond, just ask. For example, buy KX front end parts off eBay, pay via paypal and have them shipped to me, then cover my shipping costs to you. I figure the main reason you don't buy off eBay and have directly shipped to you is because the auctions usually state shipping only within the USA??
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

What a guy !! Seriously I really appreciate your kind offer and that sounds like one of my best options. You are dead right I havent seen a seller willing to ship over here. I will hunt around and see what I can find. Thanks again Ski your a legend.

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yea, a legend in my own mind! Ha!

It's no problem, really. Besides, that way if you buy a better set of forks, I can swap yours with mine and you'll never know. :shock: :wink:

BTW I have some cardboard tubes I receive radio antennas in that make great packing for shipping forks in. They are THICK and could probably hold up to several hundred pounds of pressure without any problems. Wheels without the tire are also pretty easy to box for international shipping so look to save a few bucks when buying something that doesn't have a good tire on it.

There's a thread getting started on a ride this summer up CC's way. Think about it. We'll fill Wib up with beer and you can use his bike if you fix his coolant leak.

My alterior motive: Someday I may end up down under and need a guide!!
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I don't know how such things work...so I've never understood why what seems so simple doesn't happen.

Quite some time ago I offered the same sort of thing to an overseas rider..buying what he wanted and just sending it to him. Didn't ever happen.

Don't want to end up in front of the World Human Rights Court for violating International Law but, is there a problem (taxes, import duties, whatever) doing what Ski said?

If not I'm sure Ski, myself or most any other KDXer would be glad to send whatever whenever.

Take your RB air striker comment. If you want one..just say so! Well...and send me money! ;) I'll get it from Ron and send it down.

Tech 10s? Same thing. If you're interested, I'll get a price for you...and you can decide.

Disclaimer: No warranties expressed or implied. I mean...we're all straight-up guys, I'm sure...I know Ski is. Wib is. I've met 'em. But...if you order some size 9 Tech-10s and decide they don't fit right (and no one penned out the '11' number and wrote '9' on the inside with a felt-tipped pen!) I don't imagine you would be asking for a freight free return policy? :wink:

Wib's bike will still be green (that's not a good thing when it comes to losing coolant) this summer. Like Ski says...ride his! Heck..he'll be riding his DR anyway!

You could ride my 700 SC....

Nah...not really!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yea, Like CC says, we are all reasonable men. In fact, I was just thinking to myself that I've not seen even a hint of a harsh word on this site.

Heck for shipping, I just hand the stuff to my wife who takes it to her work where she has someone in shipping get it sent out. All the company asks is that she pays them for the shipping charges, which she does on the spot with a check, no problemo. Besides, since the shipping is to / from a commercial UPS daily pickup point, the charges are considerably less than residential. She sends stuff overseas for business quite a bit and if it is marked as a warrenty repair, then there isn't any duty or other types of extra charges or tariffs.
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That sounds like the ticket Ski... Duty, VAT and all that is crap! We really have it made in the USA when you stop to think about it! :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I asked Mr. Black if there was any problem on his end selling me an air striker that I'd then send overseas. Don't know why there would be..but in any case, Mr. Black said, 'No problem at all.'

Like I said, I don't know anything about the ins and outs of overseas shipping. I'd be more'n happy to be a go-between...but...what I say I'm shipping is what I'm shipping. Persnickity maybe..but I won't label a package other than what it is.

Hmmmm...maybe that makes me UNreasonable........ :?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I see no issue with sending a "modified" carburetor marked "Warranty Repair" do you? It has been modified after all.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'll lable the dang package anything you want it to say, no problem. Only dang problem is FAT government trying to take MY money, then calling me a crook when THEY think it isn't enough.
Jerry