Good diagram of fluid path?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Good diagram of fluid path?

Post by strider80 »

I am still a little fuzzy on how modern inverted suspension works, I am sure it will help when I take apart my spare forks. Is there an explanation or diagram somewhere? Maybe even one for KYBs? I am especially confused by mid-valves and bladders, why they are there and why woods guys hate them so bad.

I need to either figure out this stuff and start revalving myself or say screw it and pay someone else to revalve my 2001's.

Is the base valve attached to the fork leg or the catridge? If it is attached to the fork leg, where is the fluid coming from/going to?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

I have a Race Tech vid that Fredette sent me "The science of suspension". The guy disassembles and istalls the gold valve and talks a little about the diff between kayaba and showa. It is pretty detailed, made me shy away from attempting any fork mod though :shock: Let me know..
B.T.W. There is a 89 KX 125 being parted on c/l is that a pretty straight forward fork swap? I really don't have any big complaints about my stock forks but I have only had my bike about 4 months. Huge upgrade or not?
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

It is a great upgrade, but you really want 1995 (I think) or newer KX forks. Keep your stock forks, maybe upgrade the springs until you feel that you really want something better. I first had my stock forks revalved with Race Tech stuff by FRP, I wish I would have just did the KX swap from the get go.

Read up on the numerous conversions on this site, lots of good info.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)