Compression assembly removal ?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Compression assembly removal ?

Post by Colorado Mike »

ok, I'm gonna be tearing into my '03 forks this weekend to replace the seals and bushings. In the procedure sticky on the site here, it says you need to remove the compression assy. with the 14 mm allen socket, and they show the fork leg being held wit the special "Fork Cylinder tool" that I don't have and you guys have told me I don't need.

Questions:
How do you get the compression assy. out then?
Do you really need to do that just to replace bushings and seals?
What oil level seems ok for western mountain kinda riding?

Brad recommended Spectro fork oil, but I haven't located that yet, any other picks for a decent quality oil? I saw some swiss oil, the bottle looked very high quality, complete with multi-linguine support and even a flexi-hensile polymer transfer appendage (pour spout). If the bottle was that impressive, the oil must be exquentious!

thanks.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Flip the forks over and press down to compress. Chuck up the 14mm allen socket onto your air racket and zip it right out.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Put the lower fork in a vice (clamp to the caliper bracket area) and then have an assistant push in on the upper fork section. This will make the cartrige assy much harder to spin and allow the BV to break free from it. Then if using an air gun,SLOWLY, with a gentle touch, start to rattle the 14 mm BV out. I turned the air pressure down for safety just in case. Remember there is oil in there so once it makes about 4 revolutions get a drain bucket under there.

The Golden Spectro 85/150 does hold up very well even when hot so it is consistant. I'm sure Belray or others are fine, I went by Davi Millsaps mech. reccomendation. He seems to know Jack Schitt and Idda Schitt if he steered me wrong.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

The compression assy. has to come out to seperate the tubes and get to the internals. When I did it i used an impact wrench to get it loose and then used a socket wrench to spin it the rest of the way out with my very own fork tool consisting of two long flatblade screw drivers placed in the little grooves to keep the insides from turning. This was on a set of 01 forks.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Let me know if you have a bladder...in the forks
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

will do. :lol:
my other one is fine, it's Air Force sized! :wink:
Mike

'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well.........???? What happened?

BTW...bringing up smallness of bladders means....what? I don't get it. :hmm:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

What happened is...nothing. OK well a lot happened which prevented me from working on my bike. Work, daughter's birthday, both sons needing father's foot swinging in the direction of their backsides.. you know, that whole life thing...

I hope to get on it this weekend. I seriously doubt my forks have bladders still installed since they were Gold valved, but I'll let ya know.

Oh, and the bladder size was a reference to the humanoidal one. My father probably pees about three times a year. No doubt a bizarre adaptation from very long missions in his flying days. I know, TMI. :lol:
Mike

'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Oh I got it OK :wink: ...I just wanted to see how stupid you figured I was..then you would elaborate on it.... :grin:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!