The plot thickens!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
grump99

The plot thickens!

Post by grump99 »

I received the "1994 KX 250" forks I won on E-bay today. I was in the process of cleaning them up and I noticed that something didn't seem right. I measured the inner fork tube and it was 46 mm :shock: . I triple checked this measurement. This would exclude any forks before 1996 I believe. They don't have the newer style axle mounting, so I believe they have to be '96, '97 or '98 forks.

I am excited that I got newer forks than I expected, just kind of confused as to what year or model I am dealing with. From the kawasaki web site, the 3 years seem to have the same triples and external parts, only differing internally. However, the forks were revalved by pro-action so I don't think I can rely on internal parts to ID the forks.

I am posting the stamp marks I found on the forks in hope that someone will be able to help me cross reference them to the particular year.

Left fork markings at bottom of fork:

M (or W) surrounded by a circle

7 surrounded by a circle

5 surrounded by a circle

L
KX 94 (at very bottom)

Right fork markings at bottom of fork:

0 surrounded by a circle

5 surrounded by a circle

6 or 9 surrounded by a circle (line above 6 or below 9, depending on direction.

R
KX 94 (at very bottom)

I hope this message makes sense as I am very excited to have received my forks. I dont really care what year they are (any late model kx forks will be an improvement), just terrible curious is all. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tony.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'll check tomorrow but I think that my pair of 94's and my pair of 96 KX forks both said KX 94 on the bottom. I'll let you know.

While you've got them apart do yourself a favor and check the lower tubes with a straight edge. If you can see light between the tube and the straight edge you going to have issues with binding.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Ok thanks!
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Well it seems I'm missing an internal piece from one of the forks so I guess I'm in a holding pattern for now. Oh well, I'm waiting on a steering bearing anyway. I wonder how the previous owner rode around with 1 fork having no rebound dampening :blink: . Hmm.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What part(s) are missing?

They do have an aftermarket piston in the base valve?

Any indication that the forks were worked on to a greater than 'revalve' extent? I guess if parts are missing, that's a big hint! Think that is a Pro-Action error, or a rider-put together that went awry?

Just curious what you found.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
grump99

Post by grump99 »

One of the forks was missing what is called the "short rebound adjuster rod" in the KYB fork service sticky. It is a short piece of aluminum that fits inside the damper rod. I believe it rests against the inside of the rebound adjuster clicker. I probably would not have noticed it was missing, except the other fork had one. It probably fell out during a previous service(not sure by who). I just picked the piece up at the dealer, not very expensive.

I pulled the base valves. I can see that they were modified (ground at tip), but I believe the piston is stock. I would guess that the shim stack was modified. The good news is that both sides seem to have all the proper pieces. :grin:

I also picked up a new lower steering bearing, so with a little luck I should be finished with the conversion by this weekend. :mrgreen:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Good grief. The whole rod was gone?

Pretty good put together!

Don't know, but I don't think ProAction would re-shim an OEM piston. That's a large part of their claim to fame, isn't it? A 'proprietary' piston (that looks a lot like most others' 'proprietary' piston)?

Hope you like 'em.

Look forward to reading all about it! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
grump99

Post by grump99 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Good grief. The whole rod was gone?
There are two pieces of aluminium that fit inside the damper rod. The smaller end piece was missing (pointy on one end and has holes drilled in the other). My guess is that someone removed the cap, tipped the fork over to dump the oil and the piece fell into the oil pan. Would be fairly easy to miss if one wasn't paying attention.

Maybe there is an aftermarket piston installed, I was looking for a gold colored one. I'm sure it will be an improvement over my old forks either way.

I do have another question. When I adjust the clickers and press on the forks with my hands/body, I can't feel any difference between different settings. Is this normal? Do I need to be riding to notice the different settings? I guess I'm a little paranoid that something else is missing/wrong.

I will post a ride report when I can.

Thanks!

Tony