Help! I've fallen and I can't find my forks!!!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yep. My '94 KDX forks have no spacers. I am wondering if all USD forks are like that.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

what inda said bout the spacers. none. i ran it to that when i was checking to see if it was possible to change preload ( with different sized spacers). i guess you just have to get the right rate spring. i'm not sure though, does anyone know if its possible to change the spring preload on this type of fork?
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hey hey... CC got himself some KX forks! Congrats! :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Of course it makes no sense. All the rest of us thought so, anyway.

I am the proud owner of a set of PilotPro '99 KX250 forks.!! (Inda slipped that in on me)

Minimum bid was too high..but that's how I do things. Pay too much money for not enough stuff. $200.

I'm betting (ha..that's funny) they are in fact PilotPro valved forks..that the sticker on there maybe means something.

Clamps in the works.

Wheel in the works.

Thanks to you helpful forks...I mean...folks for getting me off the dime to get this show on the road!!

That underhang SUCKS!

Hey...can I 'press' in my KDX stem with big enough sledge? :wink:

Inda! You changed your springs, right? What did you end up with out of the forks? Maybe some .40s that'll fit my brand new (to me) forks? Yeah...your '03s are differnt from the '99s..and I could look on the buykawi website...but maybe you can just tell me if the spring is the same.

Doubt it. Anyway...........

89'r: What difference IS there in that height measurement? I planned on taking that into account already..measuring the distance maybe from the axle to the bottom clamp on the oem kdx, try to get the KX forks the same. Don't know if there is enough room above the top clamp to the bars.

I've seen some kx swaps that make the bike look like it's going uphill just sitting there. That's bogus, seems to me. I have a hard enough time keeping the front end down on uphills as it is!

***edit**
Man...that triple clamp set got most of the bids in just the last few seconds. $75!! Gotta pay attention, I guess. Hopefully the pieces (just the top/bottom clamps..no stem) won't be so popular.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 11:47 am Feb 28 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My 03's have the stock .42 springs in 'em... Which should be just about right. The forks I have are off of a 125 instead of a 250. Same forks...just different spring rate. I'll just fart with the oil levels when I get to that point. Actually CC.... we have no idea what springs are in your new-to-you forks. They could be anything... and likely are. Depends if a gravity challenged person owned em before you or not. Your gonna disect them even if they are perfect for you... we know you too well CC!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

RT's site shows 2mm ID difference in '99 and '03 springs. As far as swapping the fork springs, that idea just went down the tubes. tubes - fork tubes, get it?

OH! I am SO funny. :?

:rolleyes:
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

cc i dont recall the exact difference in lengths. i measured from the axle to the top of the forks when they were off the bike. seems like it was about an inch. when i first put the forks on i ran them up until they just cleared the bars. i didnt like that too well ended up with 10mm above top clamp. keep in mind i'm using ancient stuff, there may not be a big difference in the newer stuff. my forks are kyb 43u's.
they are way better than my stock kdx forks or the other set of 89 forks that i put the cartridge emulators in.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I got clamps for $20! That beats the $75 a set sold for just yesterday. Yeah...the higher price one had the stem...but who needs that?

Thanks Inda! You said no one else would want 'em. Seems that is true. No one but me! uh oh...that sounds like trouble waiting to happen!

....now I need to figure out what to do with this junk (assuming it ever actually shows up).

Hope to have a front wheel by the end of the weekend!

HHhmmm..gravity challenged? Would that be a floater? Or just a short guy? Fat guy? I know all about short. My (ex)wife is about 4" shorter than I...and has an inseam that's about 6" longer than mine. Yeah...I'm a freak!! ;)

I'm distressed that you don't know what springs are in my forks! Gee..what good IS this forum, anyway?

Yeah. I will at least take them apart to see what's going on inside. I don't know anyone with a spring checker. Doing it with a bathroom scale and some bricks is less than conclusive (imo). I want .40s. Heck..they may not even be available for a 250 fork.

Hope this whole project ends up somewheres else than down the tubes! ;)

I can see my kdx stem now...wallering around the clamp hole like a drinking straw in a 5 gallon bucket.

YeeHAw!

Consider the source

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

canyncarvr wrote:I can see my kdx stem now...wallering around the clamp hole like a drinking straw in a 5 gallon bucket.
Come on now, you know you wouldn't want it any other way... :-)

It will all turn out fine, looking forward to seeing pictures when its done and a ride report.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good job on the clamps!

On the fit, duct tape will fix most anything

Un-arse yourself and check RT (for the umpteenth time)! .36 - .48 available, ya lazy bum.
:grin:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Why bother? I procrastinated long enough to have someone else do it!

Those are straight-rate springs? These things are usually progressive. Ahh...RT answers that.

Want an address to send some .40s to? ;)

OK...so RT says .42s are good for my weight. ...and I've NEVER seen an RT rec that wasn't too high!

I suppose I'll try 'em first before I spend another hundred bucks on springs.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You'll use 'em and like 'em MISTER! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"...and I've NEVER seen an RT rec that wasn't too high! "

which means, "in my own personal experience, with my own testing methods and suited to my personal preference in spring rate with whatever kinda valving is in my MX Tech adjusted forks." :grin:

I am just ribbing you. Off the top of my head, you are the only person I remember saying they tried different spring rates beyond their one best guesstimate, without saying other recommendations are too soft or too stiff.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yeah...I've had four different spring sets in my kadie with about six different preload settings and three different stacks. And I settled on the hotwound .40s (the others being on either side of that) because I liked them the best. And anyone else that rides my bike can hate it to death...'cuz I don't care!!!.

Actually, others HAVE ridden it...and have said, 'Nice suspension!' To which I have replied, 'What the hell do YOU know? You don't weigh what I do, sit further back, OUT of the saddle with your INSTEP on the damn pegs!!!'

Not really.....;)

re: USE 'EM!! ok..sorry...didn't mean to speak out of turn..i apologize..i will use them..i promise...sorry.....mew...

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think almost everyone who has changed to stiffer fork springs thinks the stiffer springs are much better than the stock springs. I know I do. I think very few people add on the disclaimer:

for me/in my experience/for my weight/for my riding style, etc.

I sure as heck can't afford to buy .39, .41, .43, .45, and .47 springs, then keep the test winner and sell the others on eBay! :supz:

Best guesstimate = SAVES money :lol: I LIKE it.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Wasn't a matter of affording anything. Jeremy (MX-tech) swapped stuff around with me until I was satisfied.

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

canyncarvr wrote:Wasn't a matter of affording anything. Jeremy (MX-tech) swapped stuff around with me until I was satisfied.
Well, I meant to be able to swap them in, one after another during testing, not so much as having to wait for shipping both ways et al.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

canyncarvr wrote:Yet another question..in the two different auctions noted (and the two different KX250 forks) the one without the axle in it clearly shows the caliper mount..the one WITH the axle, I don't see it.

It's just doesn't show in the picture?
Hmmmm......... I don't see the caliper mount either. Hope someone hasn't chopped it off because they didn't need a front brake for their application. I hope you followed up on this question with the seller and had him send another photo or confirm the mount is still there.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ski: I'm afraid you don't wanna know the answer to that question. I DID ask..but he didn't reply. 'Ya see...as much a cynic as I am, I STILL trust people way too much. No way could I say, 'Seem to be in perfect condition' when I know damn well the caliper bracket is hacked off!! Why would anyone else? Well...of course to sell the things to an idiot!

I asked him again. Damn, Ski...you really could have said something else!! 'I'm sure they will be fine!' or some other ethereal fairy tale baloney!

I DID get the clamps today. BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL is what THEY are!!

Now...about that Excel rimmed 21-incher I want.....;)

If this all turns out, it's going to be fun! If it don't...I'll know why I'm a cynic (again!)

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC.... I'm SURE they are fine!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****