Help! I've fallen and I can't find my forks!!!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Help! I've fallen and I can't find my forks!!!

Post by canyncarvr »

OK. Inda made me do it. I figured, 'If I don't get this stuff by pieces, I'm not ever going to get it done.'

And so...the piecemeal search begins.

Looking here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

'we' see a set of '99 KX250 forks. Jason's tube size listing says they should be 46mm.

OK.

BUT, notice they are tapered tubes. I know some USDs are, but don't know when/where/whose etc. What does 'Pro Pilot' mean? This is an aftermarket hot-rod fork outfit?

Then, there is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

Aha! A '99 KX250 triple clamp that is tapered! The seller said they are considered to be for '46mm' forks.

So..that's a match, right?

The whole point in looking at this setup is the bushed bar pedestals. Inda gave me a heads up on the clamps (because of the bushings). I bid on 'em cuz...well, I gotta start someplace...and I want bushed bar mounts.

The forks are Ohlins? Take a look here:

http://www.propilotracing.com/

Now then...FRP is going to be selling Ohlin stuff. I've heard general comments regarding Ohlin along the line of, 'bad.' Anyone else with a (please good) point of view?

Who is it that makes most KX forks anyway? Not Ohlin...right? Are these forks that happened to be ON a KX250? Or did that year COME with Ohlin forks? And the Pro Pilot part means they have been (maybe) serviced by those guys? Heck...maybe even revalved (who knows to what end).

I'll bet'cha I've stepped in it. The tapered clamps probably fit only forks of which 1/2 dz. were made. They will cost a gazillion $$ and NEVER be found anywhere.

Did I say this was all Inda's fault? ;)

One day to go on the forks.

Do I want 'em? ProPilot sells 'em for $2000!

Sure I do! But...where's my wheel??? :(

**edit***
Work in progress. He's (she..whatever) got the wheel with the rotor. $100 min.

I notice on buykawi that the brake caliper is the same on the '99 250 as my '00 200. Same bracket, even!! Isn't THAT a good deal?

C'mon folks. Tell me this is the best thing ever!! (and don't bid against me!!) ;)

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here's a quick little cross reference on KX forks...

http://www.tech-care.com/suspension/kaw ... ttings.htm

MOST KX forks are KYB's... which is a good thing. Ohlin's are well... EXPENSIVE to buy and maintain. I believe those forks in your first link are simply forks that have been serviced and setup. Still stock KYB's with valving and spring changes... MAYBE. I'd forget the Ohlin's unless your made of money or can get them real cheap... I have never seen them cheap anywhere.
Last edited by Indawoods on 01:30 pm Feb 08 2005, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Help! I've fallen and I can't find my forks!!!

Post by KDXGarage »

Any tapering starts after the full travel portion of the outer (upper) tube. My '93/'94 KDX200 forks taper.

I assume Pro Pilot is the name of the suspension shop that did fork work on the forks.

Sounds like a match on the 99 KX250 parts. Here are a couple of observations:

1. You were going to press out the KX stem and use a KDX stem, nayway, right?

2. You will need a KX lower or top bearing (someone help me out on that one). I want to say top, but I know that you can use buykawasaki.com as well as I can. :-)The forks on the auction are made by Kayaba (Ki-YAH-buh) or KYB, the same company who made your current forks and almost all KX and KDX 200 and up forks/shocks in the past 20 years.

That place works on many brands and sells Ohlins.

The fork auction is for 99 KX250. The triple clamp auction is for 99 KX250. Sounds like a match to me. The triple clamp seller has 99 KX250 forks for auction as well. You did click on "View Seller's Other Items", right? Maybe not, as the higher priced fork folks have the front wheel for auction as well. You need to fire up the e-mail and ask the cheaper seller what's up with the wheel, brakes, etc.

What is your evil master plan to make an Ohlins triple clamp, bearings, steering stem height, steering stop, etc. work with a KDX frame, front wheel and brakes?? GOOD LUCK!!

If you have $2,000 to spend, just buy a used KX125 or 250, grab all you want off it, then sell the rest of it on eBay.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You use the KDX's bearings.... A KX lower is the same as a KDX... on my 03's it was anyway.

Were pullin' for ya CC! :partyman:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Ah, OK. I knew one KX bearing was different and it was used in the new setup. Is there any spacers or such to use the KDX bearing? Isn't there a spacer on top of the stem or something due to stem length? Help me out here.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The only real concern when doing this conversion is, the space between the stem and the bars when all buttoned up. This has nothing to do with the bearings or the mounting of the stem, this is a top clamp matter. It's what you have to play with as far as spacers go. Not a big deal as Ski has pointed out.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, thanks.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

According to the handy dandy reference I put up... the springs in the 99's are a variable rate spring! That's kinda strange ain't it? .42-.44
But, the forks you put in the first link have been serviced or have cool stickers on 'em. So, they may have been changed out.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Aren't 1999 springs progressive instead of straight rate? I think 1997 and 1998 are as well, correct??

EDIT: Nevermind. I went to racetech.com and looked. Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous on 02:14 pm Feb 08 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I show only 99's are... I think that would be an ideal setup if you ask me!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think stock KX forks can give very good results with the right sping rate, fluid wt and level. I really don't think that spending all the extra money on valving is going to get you that much to make it worth the investment. I may be way off base but even on my 92, a simple spring change put a huge smile on my face.
The only reason I changed to KX forks was to lose the underhang that caused me to crash last summer. Well.... that and they just plain look cooler! :wink:
Last edited by Indawoods on 05:57 pm Feb 08 2005, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yep. The underhang is grating on me. Otherwise, my MX-Tech forks work just fine.

The seller says they are oem forks. I didn't know if the Pilot stickers meant the guy scored some stickers...or something was actually done to the forks. The seller doesn't know. Presumeably a look at the valve would tell that. Aftermarket pistons are usually considerably different looking.

Yeah.. I looked at the other stuff. Wheel..and multiple clamps and such.

$100 for some plastics? Wow!!

BuyKawi says the spring are progressive. Too stiff for me.

I'm hoping that NO bid on them means they won't go for lots of bucks in the last hour or two.

I think I'll give these ones a go.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll be sure to be whining when I find the KDX stem fits like a round peg in a square hole in the KX clamp! ...or the stem sticks through the kdx frame tube only far enough to see one thread!

Yeah...I worry too much. I would say THINK too much...but no one would believe THAT!!

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Got my plastics here:

http://www.xoutfitters.com/moto/ufo/index.html

Pretty reasonable.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Does the KDK fender fit to the KX clamp OK?

Yet another question..in the two different auctions noted (and the two different KX250 forks) the one without the axle in it clearly shows the caliper mount..the one WITH the axle, I don't see it.

It's just doesn't show in the picture?

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Fender fits fine.... As far as I know, the caliper mount is on all of them. I am going to try to use my stock caliper and routing since I have the computer pickup already mounted on the caliper.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

'we' see a set of '99 KX250 forks. Jason's tube size listing says they should be 46mm.

OK.

BUT, notice they are tapered tubes. I know some USDs are, but don't know when/where/whose etc. What does 'Pro Pilot' mean?

cc the 46 mm refers to the bottom tube. the upper tube is two different sizes in the lower and top clamps.

seems to be a little harder to put the kx forks on the newer kdx's.
hardest part for me was finding a good brake caliper on ebay.
when you get it all together though you should be happy with the forks.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Also, remember that different fork spring models and forks require different rate fork springs. For example, if I look on the Race Tech spring rate calculator for my weight on my 1987 model, the spring rate is about .03 higher than the spring rate suggested for my 1994 model. Keep in mind that the weight of a KX is less than a KDX, and since one of the springs' job is to keep the wieght suspended in the proper ride height, a spring rate recommended for KX forks on a KX with normal rider (no Kamelbak/fannypac for example) may be different than KX forks on a KDX with tools and Kamelback.
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

here's something else to keep in mind. the kx forks are longer. so if you ran your kdx forks flush with the top of the triple clamp you might have to run the kx forks up in the clamps a little.

when using the race tech calculator, if they made a kx500 the same year as the forks your looking for springs for use it. the kdx is only 2 lbs heavier than the kx500.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do various KX forks use a fork spring spacer? If so, could a shorter spacer be used to compensate for the longer tubes?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My 03's have no spacers. They are...uh what they are. The springs sit in a cup that is tied down by the cap attached to the rod. Make sense? I thought so! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****