Fork seal preference?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fork seal preference?

Post by Colorado Mike »

The seals are leaking on my '03 KX forks. I figured I'd buy the bushings too before I dig into them. I was on Race Tech's site and noticed they sell 2 different types of seal, one costing quite a bit more than the other.

Does anyone have any experience with one type lasting any better than another? Also, what tools are really necessary to do the job correctly?

Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Hey Mike, you will need a 14 mm allen to get the BV out. You'll also need seal driver. I made a seal driver out of PVC sched 40. Utter than that, it's real easy.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i also did not need any special tools except the allen wrench to get the BV out. I used PVC for my seal driver also.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I believe its pivot works that makes a bushing and seal kit for 65 or so, the one thing a lot of folks dont know or do is scrub the lower tubes with scotchbright to get the rubber residue off, making the new seals less sticky
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
grump99

Post by grump99 »

I am curious about this topic also since I may have to re-build a set of forks soon. I remember reading somewhere that oem fork seals work the best. The pivot works kit is attractive because it includes all the stuff needed for a rebuild. Has anyone use the pivot works kit? Is oem the way to go?

Thanks!
Tony
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If your inner tubes are at all nicked, scratched or goobered, they'll leak much sooner than later. Certainly sooner than they should. Maybe as soon as you put 'em back on.

SEALSAVERS!...is my point.

Long ones, even.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!