My take on the KX fork conversion

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Do you use a WER needle? Maybe it's on clip-3?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KdX_SkUiRrEl

Post by KdX_SkUiRrEl »

Wouldnt the KX forks be a little too harsh for offroad riding? even with the revalving and spring exchange? why do you think they didnt put them on the bikes in '94??
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

In a word.... no. Almost half of the active members here have done the conversion and everyone loves them from what I can tell...

Have you read much on this forum yet? :hmm:

I believe cost was the issue.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Forks too harsh:

That's why you don't run the stack of 10-12 (or whatever) 24s the KX comes with!!

Put them on what bike? The KDX? Because they are cheap, they had no intention of spending money on what already worked. The KDX has never been touted as an 'on the edge of technical' marvel. It's not.

I'm assuming by 'harsh' you mean 'stiff'. Either way, you tune it out.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

The shim stack was reduced to just four shims.

I only have a few rides on it, but I'm quite happy with the behavior over bump-ettes.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

ahhhh!!! new springs and all is in balance with the KDX. .40 springs is what I put in I am 175-180 with gear. I could see putting .38 s in with a revalve would make it plushy ride. IT took a whole lot more rebound adjustment than I thought it would take. IT took a while but I snuck up on it one click at a time. I installed gutts racing tall seat foam helps a lot with my movement on the bike, easy to put my weight forward when needed.

I
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.