Just won a set of forks! Have some questions.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
grump99

Just won a set of forks! Have some questions.

Post by grump99 »

I am really excited! :grin: I just won a set of '94 kx 250 forks on e-bay. I see that most people have used '96 and newer forks when they converted. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with '94 forks and whether they will be a noticeable improvement over the stockers. Should I keep looking for a newer set or will these work ok?

The reason I bought them is that the previous owner had already swapped out the stem for a klx stem (should be the same as kdx), so I would just have to bolt them on :grin: . According to the seller, they were revalved by pro-action for woods riding. Another reason was that I would still be able to use the 43 mm seal driver I have.

I have a '98 wheel. I cross-referenced the parts and it appears that axle, axle holders and wheel bearings are the same part number. I hope this means that the wheel will bolt right up. The springs are 0.38 and I weigh 170# without gear, should I look into stiffer springs?

I'm just trying to get a feel for any issues I may be overlooking. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Tony. :razz: :grin: :mrgreen:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sounds like a good deal!

I put 95's on my brothers which are the same as the 94's and they work great!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I was going to use a set of 94 forks for the conversion on my bike. When I tore down the forks to put new seals in the tubes were bent. Had to pick up a set of 96 forks instead. The 94's should work just fine however. The 98 wheel should bolt right up. KarlP has a set of 94 forks on his KDX as well if I remember right.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote: I put 95's on my brothers which are the same as the 94's and they work great!
Same size, no mid valve on the 94's though.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Thanks for the info guys! I cant wait to get them on my bike.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

For your weight i'd start with the 0.38's and move up from there.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I would agree with mOrie on that. I have .43 springs in my 98 forks and they are stiff compared to the .40 springs that were in the stock forks.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote: I put 95's on my brothers which are the same as the 94's and they work great!
Personally... I think mid-valves suck in the woods. Mine will be replaced with the traditional check valve this winter. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Thanks guys!
grump99

Post by grump99 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:>|<>QBB<
Personally... I think mid-valves suck in the woods. Mine will be replaced with the traditional check valve this winter. :wink:
So it seems I may have been better off with the '94s anyway. Looks like the mid-valve and spring rate are the only differences as far as I can tell by the parts diagrams. The forks I bought were re-valved for woods riding anyway, so I should be good to go! Thanks for the info guys!

Tony