Oh ,what a feeling.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh ,what a feeling.

Post by it175 »

Details...modded.01 200,set up with heavier springs in front stock RSU forks. 240lb rider weight. :mrgreen:

Oh what a feeling, on the gas hard, 3rd or 4th gear, don"t remember. But what I DO remember is this rock in my way, about 12 inches long, 4 inches deep and 6 inches tall. Shifted weight back. Felt forks hit it, compress and just about the time I thought I would go up and over it, NOPE :shock: Veered hard to the right about 6 ft, rock stayed put, but I did not. Didn"t crash. :prayer: :prayer: Would this be what of many call (fork flex). Front forks work great otherwise. Or should I try to break my neck getting my conversion done. Have all the parts. :partyman:
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I think a steering damper would make more difference than USD forks in that situation. But if you have the KX forks, put them on before going to a damper, so you don't have to replace the mount parts.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Wouldn"t a damper work in just higher speed situations. If it would have worked in that situation ???? How, I don't know :mrgreen:
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

You were in "3rd or 4th gear" , on a KDX, 4th gear is getting pretty fast. I broke a couple ribs getting deflected into a car-sized boulder in the middle of 4th. I'm pretty certain if I had my Scotts on then my bike would have moved about 4" to the right, popped in the air a little, and continued on. I would have then thought briefly, "wassat?" and continued on in bliss. Instead, I hit the diagonal submerged boulder, shot off the trail in the blink of an eye, and imitated a bug hitting the left headlight of a '56 Oldsmobile. Weeks of semi-sleepless nights, near-death experiences resulting from sneezes, and fear of coughing prompted me to order up the damper. The next season, my buds remarked on how much faster I was, and they think it was engine mods... :lol:

But anyway, a damper works at all speeds. You might want to get you one. :supz:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

CM you are SOOO right. I completely smashed my Acerbis hand guard and slammed into the cross bar when I smacked a tree haulin over the whoops hard in third gear. All I ended up with is a GPS to the chest bruise and a sore back from my feet trying to do the Chinese acrobat thing where they come over your head. The forks didn't twist at all! The handle bars didn't look too straight though. I know beyond a shadow of doubt that Scotts saved me from something bad as I was riding alone 9 miles from the truck, and nobody was out there that Friday morning. For weeks I had a bruise shaped like a Garmin, only a bruise mind you, as a reminder of that great addition to the bike.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

OK, sounds like another ITEM on the "hunney do list". Thats fine with me. Rather play it safe, then sorry. It happened so fast to me that my wife didn"t even see it happen, :prayer: :prayer: who was riding her atv behind me. I do not need THAT greif. THANKS!!