Parting out his girlfriend's 2004 KX125, just for me?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

It means they are part of the cast aluminum upper triple tree.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I wonder if I can just have the solid clamps bored out by the machinist to accept inch-and-an-eighth bars?

I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If your machist can do the math to still have enough clamping force and still have the strength.... why not?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Oh, you had to put doubts in my mind, eh? :oops:

Rick
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It looks like there is more than enough material there to give it plenty of stength. I could do it if I had a line boring machine....

Just make sure when he bores it that he shims the clamps before boring... or else it won't clamp.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

A line boring machine is how we are going to "shim" the triple clamp. The plan is to heliarc an aluminum round stock and then bore it out. I'm sure he is up to the job. Just gotta find the right parts and find him with spare time.

Rick
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well see.... you got it all figured out already! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Still trying to get a set at a decent price...

For a 99 KX125, this guy wants $390 + shipping for the set. :(

Too much bucks.

Adrenaline Cycles

http://stores.ebay.com/ADRENALINE-CYCLES

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KX125-KX ... QQtcZphoto
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I have a set of 98 KX 250 forks with triple and 2000 front wheel and axel that I am putting new seals and oil in for 200.00 plus shipping. the wheel has a new kenda millville tire. the bad is the axel on the 2000 wheel wont work as is on the 98 you could have a spacer made or get a 98 axel off ebay. also I could put new bushings in for the cost of the bushings another 40 bucks and for free I will adjust the shim stack for woods riding. I have the same on my bike.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Hmmm. Very tempting, Sir.

Lemme get back from my daughter's soccer practice and ruminate a while on that fine offer.

Rick
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Krazy,

Let's consider this a deal. We'll work out the particulars via private e-mail

rdestep(AT)cox.dot.net

What is the spring rate on a 98 KX? I was hoping for something around .40 or maybe .41 for our rocky single track here in Phoenix.

I ride , with all gear (including 100 oz Camelback and tools), at about 224 pounds.

I like plush, baby !!

I found a 1998 KX 250 front axle for $16 outthedoor

Rick
Last edited by AZRickD on 11:16 pm Oct 03 2006, edited 1 time in total.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Rick - Your going to love the setup...the difference between the stockers and the KX forks is night and day!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Morie,

If I pay for your airfare and a night at the Biltmore in Phoenix, will you help me do the deed? :)

:partyman:

You wouldn't believe the grief I'm getting from the Arizona forums about what I'm doing...

Well, maybe you would...

http://www.southwestdirtrider.com/cgi/y ... 355;start=

Rick
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I believe all the grief because I went thru it with my (extended) family. You don't need that, those POS conventional forks are just fine...heck i'd ride them any day of the week. :roll: After I rode CC's KDX last year after his conversion I knew I had to have a set. After they were rebuilt and on the bike my brother-in-law (the biggest naysayer) admitted that it was worth it after all...amazing how that works :lol:

Don't worry too much about the valving and spring rate to begin with. Just stick those bad boys on and run down the trail a couple of times to get a good base line before you start changing things. If you can try and find a KDX triple on Ebay that you can use the stem out of that way you can keep your existing forks/clamps/wheel together as a set and make it easy to swap back and forth for comparisons and you can also keep riding till the conversion is done.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Buy another KDX stem, eh?

You are too clever.

Rick
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Reading through the posts at southwestrider.??? made me giggle. A good phase came to mind. 'You can polish a turd all you like but all you get is a shiney turd'. The KDX forks suffer from flex and underhang issues no matter what you do to them internally. KX forks all the way.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

The KX swap is definetly a "have to try ride it to believe it," kind of mod. I thought my revalved/resprung stock forks were the best thing ever, till I rode with my KX125 front end.

To address some of the points in the other thread:
Cost is cheap once you sell your stock stuff, I did not get that great of deals either:
Costs, no shipping:
2001 KX125 forks and triples: $200 + $110 for a rebuild
2001 KX125 axle: $25 (I think)
2001 KX125 wheel: $125
= $460
Selling stock stuff:
Forks (revalved, resprung): $165
Wheel/axle: $75
Total:
KX - stock = $220, including the $110 for the rebuild, pretty damn cheap

My WER fit fine, no trouble there. If you can get access to a press there really is no a custom machine work unless you need the lower triple knurled. The spacer and shim for the upper triple can be done with shim stock and the KX stem nut.

If you get 125 forks, the valving and springs should be close enough to start, the KDX is heavier than a KX125, so the MX springs for a 125 will be about right. 250 forks maybe a bit too stiff based on comments here.

Do the conversion, then let those guys ride it!
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That other forum thread is pretty funny... talks about alot of machining, respringing, revalving... Horse hockey! :lol:

I really don't think there is an easier mod out there for the results gained. Why someone could not follow through with this mod is beond me, Once the stem is pressed in... it takes a matter of an hour to complete. :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Especially if you buy an extra KDX stem, then the whole project could be easily completed the same day! :supz:
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote:Especially if you buy an extra KDX stem, then the whole project could be easily completed the same day! :supz:
:grin: :grin: :grin: Thats what I did but I am having a hard time finding that [SAME] day. But I am looking forward to it. :partyman:
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!