KX fork oil question!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

skipro3, do you know if RT removed the midvalves and replaced them with check valves? Thanks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Is that a common mod Jason?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have read that it is standard RT practice. Some argue the benefits for or against it.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

race-techs site down?

***EDIT***
They changed their URL to http://www.racetech.com

I had http://www.race-tech.com bookmarked. When did they change it? Haven't they ever heard of a redirect? I guess if your as big as them... people will keep looking.... :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It is not for me.

No dash in the name.

http://www.racetech.com
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I don't know what a mid-valve is. That's right, the cat is out of the bag, I'm stupid! Is it something that is adjustable? I KNOW of my compression and rebound settings, and how they affect the performance I seek, but I really couldn't tell ya anything about, what did you call it? Mid-Valve thingy? Good thing I took those forks to Race Tech.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

No need to call yourself stupid!

Here's another one of my "from what I have read" comments. Yes, a midvalve is adjustable, in the same sense that the valving on the base valve assembly is adjustable (NO!! Not by just turning a screw! - I mean by changing the shim configuration). One has to remove AND disassemble the cartridge rod to get to it. Therefore, it is definitely more involved than changing the valving on the base valve assembly (stock piston or Gold Valve), since one only has to remove the base valve assembly to make adjustments to it. The base valve assembly just sits there and has oil shoved through it (passive) whereas the midvalve moves through the oil (active). It can have more influence on the damping. This is why I mentioned recently to shop for 1995 and newer KX forks since they have this technology. It can help out on the performance. I know they can be added to stock KDX forks, but I don't know how one goes about doing this besides boxing them up and sending them off.

I have read that for most bikes, the Gold Valve kit comes with a midvalve replacement kit consisting of a check valve. Most who have commented seem to think that this "dumbs it down" so Joe Customer will have one less thing to have to adjust (or maladjust) when installing the kit himself. I do not know how a 1996 KX kit is, so that is why I asked.

In the grand scheme of things, I know you love your forks, and that is what is most important!

Thanks.

skipro3 wrote:I don't know what a mid-valve is. That's right, the cat is out of the bag, I'm stupid! Is it something that is adjustable? I KNOW of my compression and rebound settings, and how they affect the performance I seek, but I really couldn't tell ya anything about, what did you call it? Mid-Valve thingy? Good thing I took those forks to Race Tech.