Aftermarket Forks...

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
motorhed220

Aftermarket Forks...

Post by motorhed220 »

Hey guys...i asked before if i bought aftermarket forks for a KX...would it be the same as converting Stock KX forks??? Anyhow i found the brand and forks i want...they are Ohlins Motocross/enduro forks...they have 3 models all available for Kawasaki bikes (site does not specify) and i was wondering if anyone could give me thier opinion on the best ones to get...Take note of the last model (supossibly will fit stick triple clamps and plastics)

hers is the site:

http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Produc ... fault.aspx

Thanx y'all
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

since you are buying ohlins get the ones you like. They are a nice set of forks but too much money for me. You will have to ask Ohlins what size triple trees their forks are ment for then compare that to the kx triple tree. Do the same for your axel and then you will know all you need to know. :supz: Good luck and send us pics
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Call Jeff at http://www.frpoffroad.com he has a bolt on Ohlin setup for KDXs.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

You are looking at Ohlins :shock: they are arguably the best forks available yet you complained about the price for head and carb mods. RB's work is peanuts compared to them. :wink: Just do what I did and buy a head 2nd hand of eBay in the US and get the seller to send it straight to Ron.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

Whats cheaper then ohlins??? lol...i had NO clue they were THAT expensive
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Why don't you just buy some used KX forks for <$200, and spend $200 with Racetech to get them setup just like you want, or use them stock? KX forks are going to be the cheapest and most avaliable units out there.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

OK since you are in the same boat as I was I'l tell you what I did. I searched ebay in the US for my parts and had them shipped over to Oz. The reason I did this was because locally they wanted $1200AU for a set of 96 model KX250 fork legs ONLY. They needed a rebuild too. No wheel, triple clamps, plastics or anything else just the 2 fork legs. I managed to get a set of 2002 KX250 forks with RaceTech springs, RaceTech gold valves, mid valve replacement kit, wheel with new disk, Emig billet clamp, Protaper bars and the plastic guards and guides. The auction came to $252.50US. Now even if I spent $1000 for shipping (which I didn't) I would still have been in front. Shipping was around $300-400 can't remember exactly but it's been posted up here. Now with the head and carby, just do it if you can afford it. It was peanuts for the performance gains and tunability that comes with it. I went with the Airstiker carb and as previously stated I tracked a head down from the US. The head was one ride old and cost me $20.50US. Hope my ranting makes some sense. :wink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

Gud plan...