Another conversion finished: 2000 KDX w/ 2001 KX125 stuff

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Another conversion finished: 2000 KDX w/ 2001 KX125 stuff

Post by strider80 »

Here are some pictures from my KX swap. 2000 KDX200 with 2001 KX125 forks and triples. I had the forks rebuilt by a reputable local shop. The forks are stock with stock valving and spings.

Everything was pretty straight forward. I machined a spacer that took up the slop on the upper triple clamp instead of using the KX stem nut and shim stock.

Now a couple of questions:
The front suspension feels "heavy" instead of "plush" when pushing on it in the garage. Maybe sticktion? I have the triple clamp bolts just "snug" right now. I followed what I thought were good instructions (from transworld mx) for installing the wheel/forks/triples.

Maybe I was just not expecting the suspension to feel that much heavier than my stock KDX with .40 springs and gold valves. Any ideas? Do new fork seals need to break in?

Some pics:

2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Seals will need a little break in time to loosen up. Also the torque on the lower pinch bolts should be around 12ft-lbs to keep stiction from occuring. Looks like you did a nice job. Did you make a new axle to retain the KDX wheel as well?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

No, I bought a 2001 KX125 wheel and axle setup. Hopefully I can recoup some costs if I can sell the KDX wheel and axle. Machining small quick aluminum parts at my work is not big deal, I may raise a few eyebrows if I start machining larger steel stuff:)

I need to buy a 1/4" or 3/8" torque wrench tomorrow. My big old 1/2" wrench does not work too well under 50ft-lb.
Last edited by strider80 on 11:41 pm Aug 11 2006, edited 1 time in total.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Do yourself a favor and get a 3/8" inch pounds torque wrench. Much easier to get the light weight fasteners correct.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:Do yourself a favor and get a 3/8" inch pounds torque wrench. Much easier to get the light weight fasteners correct.
Sounds like a plan.

Anything else to check for sticktion? How do your forks feel?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

My KX forks feel stiffer than my KDX forks were but the dampening is more controlled even pressing it down in the garage. Once you get it out on the trail you'll be able to tell how its doing. Take a couple of laps to get the seals break in a bit and play with the clickers. Once you get warmed up and get the clickers in a good spot aim your bike straight for the worst part the trail you can find and marvel in the amazing control that you now have over your front end. You'll be impressed! :partyman:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I'm not understanding from the pics how your brake line is going to work. I mounted mine KDX style too. Looks like we have the same fork guards, and I had to take the left fork guard guide off to allow the line free movement up the fork leg. I had to drill some holes in the guard, and zip-tie the line to it.

What keeps your line from flexing into the wheel or spokes under fork compression?

Mine look like this:

Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

As of right now, nothing is holding on the brakeline, I am still thinking about what to do.

The front forks feel much better after loosening everything and going through the tightening sequence with a torque wrench. I can't wait to ride it!
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Riding it tends to straighten everything up real nice as long as you have light torque on the lower trees. After riding... recheck the torque values.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have my brothers brake line just floating around like striders... and it works fine....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

I have my brakeline routed like that and just drilled holes in the fork guard and zip tied the line to it. Doesn't look the that clean but it works for me.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Just to to follow up, the KX swap exceeded all my expectations. The bike really holds a line now through the crud due to the stiffer fork legs, I think the solid mounted bars may make it feel better as well, no arm pump so far going away from rubber bar mounts. The suspension feels plush in the tight stuff, I have had not ridden it in the desert yet. More updates to follow.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)