Is this what I need?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KanuckKDX

Is this what I need?

Post by KanuckKDX »

KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep... besides a wheel and axle....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

That would be a nice setup. For E series bikes you'll need to get a newer 95 KDX brake caliper or the matching KX caliper. There will be minor rubbing between the right side fork and radiator cap. Also the forks will barely touch the tank at full lock on either side. I'm working on spacing the top of the right radiator back about 1/2" which should solve the radiator cap rubbing. The forks don't touch the tank enough to be worried about but you can use a heat gun to dent in the tank or add some material to the steering stops to keep the forks from touching.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

So I have read the sticky and a few other threads but I still need spoon feeding.

I can find wheels and brakes for KX 125, 250 and 500. Which size bikes and which years should I consider? eBay has a good selection.

As far as getting it together, I see I wil need to be patient and may need some mods at a machine shhop, but it looks possible.

My KDX is like the others, a little soft for an adult male and I wonder if the front end conributes to the sense that the rear end won't stay on the ground as well as it should. Of course all I compare it to is the CR250, the RMX250 and the XR400.

Thanks.

TEDD
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Its more than possible Tedd, I just finished doing the KX fork swap on my 89 and its night and day the difference it makes. Be prepared though, once you get the forks on and see what its like to have a front end that actually works correctly you'll realize how crappy the rear end works. Thats the next thing to "fix" on my list and you'll be in the same boat once your done with the front.

96-98 KX125 or KX250 for the front wheel and axle will work without mods. Same for the brake caliper or a 95+ KDX brake caliper. The only other mod that you'll need to do for the front end will be having the KDX stem pressed out of your KDX clamp and into the KX clamp. Depending on the fit you might need to have the clamp knurled before the stem is pressed in. The machinest should be able to determine if its needed. Your existing brake line will work, however you'll have to make a clamp to hold the brake line to the fork guard. Zip ties work well. You will also need to make a spacer from some washers to raise the top clamp about 1/4" and a little shim stock to shim the top of the KDX stem in the top clamp hole.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ideally a set of 99 kx forks would be the best if you are looking to go with froks from 1995-2002. They have a better way of clamping onto the axel than the 95-98's and the 99's dont have a bladder, so you dont need to worry about that.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250