re: specific KX frontends

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: specific KX frontends

Post by canyncarvr »

BJH wrote:Need a KX front end? here is one. I'm not affiliated in any way I just ran across it on EBAY!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

Thanks for the link.

I haven't exactly camped out looking for such on ebay. I have looked 1/2dz. times at least.

It's blue? Ugh.

I've asked skipro...anyone else with a general point of view about a '92? I suppose buykawi would list the oem spring rate...but why bother? It's fifteen years old...maybe they've been changed, huh?

Vision of no sugarplums, but bent tubes, scratches and stripped threaded holes dance in my head.....

**edit**
Buykawi says oem spring is .36. It's easier to see on the buykawi breakdown drawings, but these forks DO have a bit of underhang on them. Some I've seen (some USD forks I mean) have the axle almost BELOW the fork tube!

This KX fork underhang isn't anything like the 4" or so on the kdx, but it does have some.

...and I see only one clicker. It's on the top. Nothing on the base valve. I suppose this means these forks do NOT have rebound adjustment? I didn't know there ever WAS a kx like that. But then, there ARE a lot of things I don't know........... ;)

***edit again****

I just looked at the drawing for my '00. They don't show the clicker on THAT base valve, either. Guess because (in the kdx case) it's an assembly. So, that doesn't mean there isn't a clicker on the KX forks.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

1992 is the first year for the steering stem/bearing issues. They are anodized blue. Compression adjusters are in the bottom (yes, it is an assembly). Rebound adjusters are on the top, center of the cap. Air bleed screw is on top, but toward the outer edge of the cap. 1990 was the first year for rebound adjustability.

Check Race Tech to see what spring you should have in your KDX forks, then think about the difference in your current springs vs. what they suggest. Then, see what they recommend for the KX and your weight. Don't forget that it will have different compression and rebound valving/characteristics vs. a non-MX fork, so the .36 springs and KX forks may not be as far off the mark as .35 springs and '95-up KDX forks.

Here's the IMHO part:

You might want to look for some 1996 or newer KX125/250 forks (and accompanying front end). They went from 43mm tubes up to 46mm tubes in 1996. The biggest thing may be that in 1995 they started comiong with midvalve technology. This is a significant step forward. No stock KDX forks have these. Later model KX forks will be bladder forks, bumper forks or the 2005 twin chamber style. Basically, newer is usually better, technology wise.

Since you are hesitant to buy a used complete front end (or try to piece one together from different sellers), you can always buy brand new for around $2,500. :grin:

I hope this helps.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Who do I make the check out to??

Thanks, Jason. I did NOT know about the mid-valve part...OR the 43/46mm change date, either.

I asked FRP what they were going to sell there Ohlin setups for. Never did get a reply.

Many thanks!!

Do you know how the underhang part fits in with those years? Are the 46mm fork assys different in that way from the earlier forks?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I know my '03's have 0 underhang... that's what I wanted. The forks on ebay does... and about as much as stock KDX forks. Fuzz and I compared them once...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

canyncarvr, compared to your current forks, I would advise you to pass on the 1992 forks. If you had stock forks, then it would be great, but I just don't see it being worth your while compared to your current forks. Unless you just MUST have ANY USD forks right away or don't mind spending the cash to give it a shot.

You're welcome on the info. They changed to 48mm tubes for 2002.

How much underhang do the H model forks have? I don't know what the internationally accepted, scientific method is for measuring it, but I measured from the very bottom of the axle hole (where the axle rests, not the built-up material around the hole that avtually holds it) to the bottom of the tube on both my bikes. The 1987 (conventional damping rod forks) was 4 3/8 inches. My 1994 KDX200 (with USD forks) was 1 3/4 inches.

I don't have a measurement, but I don't think the 1991/1992 forks are going to have as much as the H model forks.

cc, another thing to look for on the RT pages for each year model is the piston diameter. Each Gold Valve kit will be a size to match the internals. The 1988 cartridge KX forks have a little 20mm piston like all the KDX forks. I think from there on, they are 25, then 28 and maybe up to 32 now. (32mm may just be on the works forks, so don't quote me). That might give you some insight as to how they changed over the years.

Compared to your current forks, -FROM WHAT I HAVE READ-, BESIDES USD vs. conventional, the internals don't sound tremendously better. I am considering potential final cost on the swap when I say that (possibility of them needing seals, bushings, proper rate springs, cost of steering stem/bearing isues).

I was thinking of the whole picture, but perhaps just stating it from a technical standpoint only, earlier. That is why I say try to get 1996 or newer.

Again, all that is just my point of view.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128