1981 KDX q

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Actarus

1981 KDX q

Post by Actarus »

Hi guys !

I was wondering if that kind of conversion was needed on an oldes bike like mine or if the front end was already good from stock ?
1981 KDX 175
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I wouldn't say that its needed but you could convert to a newer KDX front end very easily and gain a front disc brake instead of the front drum you currently have. I believe you can also convert your rear brake system to a disc brake setup with a little fab work and a different rear wheel and caliper.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I had one of those, and personally, I wouldn't bother. The rear suspension is a few generations back from where the forks would be, and the ride height would probably be imbalanced. As I recall, those things only had about 9" of travel. If I were you, I'd either just enjoy a nice simple bike as it is, or upgrade to a more recent model.

I bought my old KDX new for $1000, sold it 23 years later for $500. You could spend close to the resale price doing the conversion, and probably end up with a very poor handling bike.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Actarus

Post by Actarus »

Many thanks for the replies guys ! Much appreciated :razz:

I'm doing an engine rebuild right now and was hoping not to put much more money into it for now as I'm planning, if I like to ride enough, to get a new bike and maybe keep this one as a buddy bike ! :cool:
1981 KDX 175