triple tree q?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I will second or third the part about "we" are all glad you have the parts you need for the conversion. Seems like you even have a few extra parts now.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I wondered "why" the TT did not fit for GreenHornet and came across the following.

..." The diameter of the outer aluminum fork tubes was reduced 2mm at the triple clamp surface to eliminate weight. Both the outer and inner tubes are strengthened and the overlap between the two tubes is increased for smoother action, especially during "slap-down" jump landings." ...during a review of specifications for the 1999 KX 125 and 250s even though they stayed with the KYB 46 mm forks. This might explain why some people performing the coversion need to 'spread" the clamp while others slip right in. I would assume they stayed with the smaller surface for a few years but really have no idea - Just another point to check when matching up forks and TTs.

Still is best IMO to buy forks and TTs from the same bike to minimize these types of surprizes.

P.S. Also explains why GHs would not work i.e. a 54 mm clamp design trying to clamp on a 52 mm fork leg. Since I just bought a 2001 KX TT I'll be interested to see if it is going to work with my 2001CR 125 Honda fork legs. Measured the top clamp surface at 52.97mm so I think I'll be fine - provided the upper TT did not change. :twisted:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine