Valve Shimming Update.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Well took ol' blue out today in the mud. Learned a few things today, like how to ride in the mud. I had alot more fun than I thought I would. I'm amazed at how well this bike tracks through the nasty. Again, if your going slow and trying not to crash out, thats when it happens, this bike liking the fast track does better the faster you go. I caught myself today trying ease through some quagmiar and just about lost it, next time through i just hammered the gas and it lined o ut and drove right on through, no funny stuff just all buisness.

well for what I could tell today, the front end never acted like it was going to wash on me, not even in the slick stuff. I tried to set the dampening first then the compression. I found that I was'nt to far off the original settings. I think I hardened the rebound one or two clicks and softened the compression about one click. I tried further on both but found it not as comfortable. So I went back to the original settings I was comfortable at. Bike really supprised me today. Forks worked great on the big wet rocks without any deflection at all. The one time I got stuck on the big rocks was rider error not the bike. I actualy carried almost as much speed today as when I rode when it was dry. I had mucho fun! :supz:

So I guess you could say that the shimming is set, as is the rebound and compression. I felt the front end hit one time today and that was on a 2 foot ledge I was launching over at the top of a hill climb. Thats it, and it was'nt a hard feel type hit, just like a glance type hit.

One guy on a KTM 400 was by himself and we talked in the parking area for a few minutes and he was hinting around about riding together. Over the past few months, I've been riding mostly by myself and foudn that I like it better that way. well he took off first and I went out a few minutes later and I ran across him as I started on a down hill. I heard his 4 banger fire up behine me so I went into full race mode. I wanted to see what he had. I finished my loop and looked behine me and he was'nt there....... :? I met up with him back in the parking lot and he tried to get me to go back out with him but I did'nt. I just wanted to run my own pace today and not have to worry about someone elses pace. So he rode alittle longer and loaded up and went home. I kept running though, i was having to much fun. The last time I rode in mud, my legs were shot, now with this bike, my arms are shot, legs good.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Sounds like you had a blast! Good report!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

The forks do works great in the mud
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Almost a Bareback mountain story there! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

:mrgreen:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

:lol:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX