First ride with USD

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

First ride with USD

Post by bradf »

After a few week deployment to TN for the tornados, today I finally got to ride and try out the 01 KX250 forks. They were perfect. The valving is great as far as I can tell. The internal adjustments and mods must have been right as it performed exactly as I figured and heard/read it would. What I really had fun with is the whoops. I hit them hard in third gear where as before I could barley get through part throttle in second gear. There was never any bottoming as with the stockers and absolutely no mid stroke harshness. The rear end even tracked straighter and seemed to stay planted better. There was a great feeling of the front end tracking over the harsh bumps now and not deflecting off the face of the whoops as the stock forks would. I have never felt this level of stability before. I even tried to hit a section of very nasty and steep holes hard to push the limits and there was simply no problems. It was like I had my own road grader out front smoothing out the landscape. It was like riding a whole different machine. The forks simply devoured what ever there was. The balance between the front and rear is quite inspiring. There was one little problem though. I had figured that I might as well put the forks up as high as they would go, about 1 inch above the top T. Well the bike would turn quick, REAL quick! Many times the front end turned in and made for one fun dismount. I lowered the forks 1/4" and that seems to be good. I will try another 1/4" as well next time out.
Last edited by bradf on 10:10 am May 02 2006, edited 1 time in total.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Put a Scott's stabilizer on top of that and you have a Woods weapon! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Vince, I do have a Scotts! The oversteer or knifing is too slow for the Scotts to dampen. This happens after I turn the bars, it just catches and turns in. The adjustment helped. The 1 inch above the T was just too high.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ah... Definately sitting too low then.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I have mine at the bottom of the Upper Fork area where the Top Clamps goes too. It is about 1/2 higher than the stock forks. But, I too noticed a major improvment in balance. I would stop and just stand up or sit and the bike would stay put.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr