Shouldda Asked

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
mikezolin

Shouldda Asked

Post by mikezolin »

This has to be the most useful and informative KDX site in exsitance. Been lurking here for a while and this is my first post so please don't say STFU like they do on some other forums.

I have a 1996 KDX200 that is the funnest bike I've eber ridden. 46 yrs old and just got back into the desert racing/hare scramble thing after 30 years off raisnig five kids. Anyways.............

One of my kids has a 1996 KX125 which needs both top and bottom end rebuilt so we decide to just upgrade him to a newer bike and I find myself with a pair of '96 USD forks and a set of Applied Racing triple clamps. After reading all the stuff here about the conversion I decide I'm gonna go for it.

Just tore both bikes apart, ready to head for the machine shop tomorrow for press out, possible knurling, press in, etc.........

BUT...now I'm reading some posts relating to leveling the bike. I didn't do any measurements before recklessly taking off both front ends. Is an axle to top TC measurement going to give the the correct geometry or do I need to put everything back together again and take additional measurements? I don't want to screw this up!

Advice from those who have "lived and learned" from this conversion would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for all the informative posts..Sounds like an RB carb is next on the list.
Mike Zolin
Whiplash #718
AMRA #65S
WORCS #186
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hey Mike ...welcome to the site!

I think after you get the KX frontend on the bike, there will be about a 1" greater difference in height compared to the KDX's frontend. It is pretty easily rectified by dropping the forks in the trees by an additional 1" than stock would be. Ergonomically it should be fine. You can see what I mean here....

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've got '96 forks on my bike and there was no issue with ride height or leveling. They should work fine. I would recommend flush and filling the oil while they are off he bike though.

Also, Welcome!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Welcome!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

BTW, what's STFU stand for?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
mikezolin

Post by mikezolin »

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Ordered new stem bearings from Dennis Kirk yesterday (just to be sure) and they should be here by Wednesday. Since I have the entire KX front end, wheel and all, I'm thinking this will be a pretty straightforward project. Hope to have a weekend ride report for ya'll.
Mike Zolin
Whiplash #718
AMRA #65S
WORCS #186
mikezolin

Post by mikezolin »

On Mototalk they always say "STFU NEWBIE" to new subscribers - guess it's a tradition there ?????? Pretty sure it means Shut the F$%k Up.
Mike Zolin
Whiplash #718
AMRA #65S
WORCS #186
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

mike, what kind of terrian do you ride? I have 97 kx forks and i want to know if you ride stuff like i ride.

Welcome to the forums, some may say i am annoying :wink:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mike,
You may want to cancel that order for stem bearings and go to your dealer and buy OEM's.

Why? 'cause the bearings are sealed on the bottom of the OEM bearings unlike aftermarket. Makes a big difference in longevity.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
mikezolin

Post by mikezolin »

Inda - The bearings that are on the stem now are OEM and in perfect shape (the previous owner was smart enough to install a grease zirc fitting so the entire stem cavity was full of grease). So based on your advice I'm just gonna reuse them. Dropped the clamps off at the machine shop this morning and he will have the job done this afternoon. I'll post the "knurl needed" results to the poll thread once I pick them up. Looks like I'm gonna be riding with new forks this weekend :supz:

Ryan - I ride mostly desert and single track with LOTS of rocks. These are from a typical AMRA race.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/modules. ... _album.php
Mike Zolin
Whiplash #718
AMRA #65S
WORCS #186
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Too little, too late...but...

My forks are over the top by a good 1/2". My bike is 'level' as it was before. I DID check it to start with, so I know it's right now.

But...I'm using Devol 114mm pull rods, too. That dropped the seat heighth something a bit less than 3/8" as I recall.

Reusing the OEM bearings should be fine, the bottom having been removed by pressing out the stem. It's reusing the bearing if you have removed the bearing without pressing the stem that would make it iffy...cuz you gotta do some prying, pounding to get an installed lower bearing off.

I've cut mine off! Didn't want to mess with multiple stem pressings just to change a bearing.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX200Kev

Post by KDX200Kev »

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I have mine (FORKS) about 3/4 inch raised in Upper TT. It equals approx. 1/2 inch between KX & KDX. But makes a HUGE IMPROVEMENT all over
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What happened to the 'new forks this weekend' part?

Where's the ride report?

Consider the source

mikezolin

Post by mikezolin »

Ride report is right here Sir....... http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

Since the conversion I had the front end revaled and resprung with NOST SST valves and race-tech springs and had the shock revalved and resprung by NOST as well. It's like completely different bike.

Raced in 3 races so far with mixed results.

Took 3rd (out of 7 in my class) at the Whiplash race in Mexico in April.

The 2 AMRA races were a different story. AMRA races are mostly very rough single track type stuff and I struggle there. Took 18th out of 28 in the 40+C class in Prescott and 18th out of 22 at the Cherry Creek Dual Euro Scramble in Young AZ last weekend.

Next race is another Whiplash race in Page, AZ on the 28th.
Mike Zolin
Whiplash #718
AMRA #65S
WORCS #186
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Thanks for the pointer!!

(you didn't expect me to actually be able to find it myself, did'ja? If you did, you obviously have NOT lurked here long enough!! :wink: )

Thanks!

Consider the source