KDX fork swap with RMZ250

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Tazmanian

KDX fork swap with RMZ250

Post by Tazmanian »

Will forks on a 2006 rmz250 suzuki work on my 2004 kdx 220 and if they do what can I use off of my kdx like brake rotor or caliper any help will be helpful. I am bidding on some parts now Thanks Taz. :prayer:
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

rmz forks will work. I dont know about the caliper though.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Tazmanian

Post by Tazmanian »

Ryan have you converted your bike and what parts did you use?
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

I am doing it Right now. I can help you through most everything just Pm me if you have a bunch of questions. As far as what i am using is a set of 97 kx250 so i dont have to deal with bladders and i have a wheel off of a 99 kx125. I had a shop do my triple tree for me. It only cost $20. Let me know if you need anything else, or if you needs pics of something i can send you that also. I have a camera so just ask.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ryan,
The RMZ250 forks are proly a far cry from 99 KX forks. Apples to Apples please....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

yes they are but i am just saying i know how to do the conversion. I dont know how to tune the rmz forks nor mine but i know what needs to be done to get them on the bike right.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

So ...you know that the KDX's stem will press fit in the RMZ's bottom triple tree? Interesting.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

because of the fact, that you still have to use a kdx stem, which means a kx or kdx bearing the bearing will be snug into were it needs to be. The only thing that may not fit would be the stoppers, but i have looked at pics and they looked identical.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Ryan-THINGS ARE NOT ALWAYS WHAT THEY APPEAR TO BE.
IE: A guy sticks a Glock in you face, during a robbery
Which is it the 9mm or 40 cal. Hey, I've looked at the gun pics and they look identical.
Get the point????? :wink:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Tazmanian

Post by Tazmanian »

Can anyone recommend what works the best on fork swap if the RMZ causes a problem I would like to find out before I sink to much into parts. Thanks Taz :prayer:
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I would look for KX Forks & TT. Unless you can find out if the RMZ/RM & KX forks are the same manufacter & size. I would be careful.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

2005 and older RMZ/KXF forks should be identical to same year KX forks. The triple clamp may be different. For 2006 the KXF got Showa forks while the RMZ kept KYB's I believe.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yamaha uses KYB's too... but the TT's are different. Fuzzy and I tried that swap and it was not even close.....

This was my point, the forks may be the same, it's the TT's that will cause you trouble. The KX TT's are a proven mod, nothing else is that I know of. In the furture Ryan, unless you have used what someone is asking about, I wouldn't say yes, it will work. If it doesn't, then you just led that person to spend hard earned money on something that will not work.

Taz, any KX from 90 up will work I believe. Look for 96 and up if you can find them because they are stiffer and more advanced in design. For some reason, several have gotten very good deals on them recently.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Tazmanian

Post by Tazmanian »

I'll try and be patient and pick up parts at a good deal online. I have replaced the springs on my kdx forks with .38 xr400s it does a good job I like to tinker with my bike. I'm getting a little old to be a very aggresive rider. Thanks for the advise. :twisted:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Taz, Ryan is correct: the forks will work. m0rie is also correct, KYB makes the forks. Not Kawasaki, not Suzuki, not Yamaha. Hence, if the diameter is the same, they will mount up to the KDX. Inda makes the best point though; use a proven triple clamp for this mod with a KX unit that is of the same diameter as the forks you plan on using. That way, you have a reasonable chance that the stem and bearing are going to mate up to your frame. Now, if you want to experiment and add to the overall knowledge base, give the RMZ triple clamp a try, or even the Yamaha. Who knows? Maybe one of those, in some year, will bolt right up to the KDX without stem pressing......
Inda also hints at another good point: forks from the same manufacture might not perform well in your application. RMZ forks are most likely going to be tuned all wrong for a KDX. KX forks are pretty close as-is for a KDX.
I do know one thing that I can add though:
KYB forks from a Yamaha, while they will work, will require a Yamaha brake caliper, hub and axle. I've seen that with my own eyes. The KX or KDX wheel, axle and brake caliper will not work with KYB forks from a 1999 (I think that was the year) Yamaha. That may be something to keep in mind for the RMZ forks. I don't KNOW that any KX wheel will work with those forks or if the brake caliper will work either.
I recommend you do much research along those lines before spending money. Unless of course, you are looking to add to the over-all knowledge base of the fork mod.

If I were retired and had access to a motorcycle wrecking yard, I could spend day after day trying out combinations of forks, wheels, TT's, etc to a KDX frame to see what fits and what won't.
Then, after finding out what fits, test those to see what works best.

I'll have to add that to my to-do list of post retirement activites!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!