Forks Identification

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDX20098
Gold Member
Gold Member

Forks Identification

Post by KDX20098 »

Hello, everyone!

I just purchased my first KDX yesterday (1998 KDX 200) and I'm running into trouble identifying the inverted forks that have been swapped onto it. I've tried searching these forums and many images on the internet, but I'm not having any luck. I know that without pictures it will be rather difficult, but I will do my best do describe them and hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on this. Here goes...

-inverted forks
-axle slides through both forks meaning that there are no screw caps that go around it
-there is what appears to be a black speedometer housing on the hub on the right side of the forks
-the top of the fork has a large hex nut with a flat headed screw that is almost flush mounted in it
-the bottom of the forks has a large recessed hex headed screw with a flat head screw in the center of it
-last, but hopefully not least are the markings "200-R" stamped on the bottom side of the forks.

I hope this is in anyway helpful and someone will be able to help.

Looking forward to this new adventure with everyone!
KDX20098
Gold Member
Gold Member

Forks Identification

Post by KDX20098 »

Trying to post pictures....

cornishwrecker220

Forks Identification

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

They look like early Kawasaki kx forks ...at a guess I'd say 1990-91 -92....if you look at the inside of the bottom of the fork where the axle is its possible its stamped kx 125 /250 or 500 .....you can measure the diameter for the size eg 42mm etc you can determine the year from those measurements ...hope that helps.

On second inspection it doesn't have the front axle clamps so can't be KX items , perhaps Kdx SR forks maybe ??
KDX20098
Gold Member
Gold Member

Forks Identification

Post by KDX20098 »

Thanks for the information! I don't see anything stamped on the bottom of the forks aside from the 200, but I did measure as best I could and they seem to be 42mm. I also just noticed what appears to be blue anodizing where the thicker part of the top tube meets the shaft. Almost seems like whoever had it at some point tried to remove all of the anodizing, but couldn't quite get all of it in that area?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Forks Identification

Post by KDXGarage »

It looks like maybe 1993 - 1994 KDX200. They are not KX forks, as there is only an air screw on top.

The axle is backwards.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
cornishwrecker220

Forks Identification

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Yes it looks likely those forks were off the kdx 200/250 SR ...they also came anodised in blue from the factory ....Google kdx200sr kdx 250sr & you can see , the SR was available in both E & H series 200/220/250 & came equipped with those blue forks from years 89 to 93 approx
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

He's in the USA, so not from an SR version

The lower triple clamp has one bolt, which is two on all KXs. KDXs had one.

In my opinion, if the chrome inner tube is 41 mm in diameter, it is from a 1993 - 1994 KDX200. If it is 43 mm, it is from a 1991 - 1994 KDX250.

Look on Partzilla at the parts diagrams to see how the axle is supposed to go, etc.

Thanks. Welcome to kdxrider.net.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

92/93 KDX250
KDX20098
Gold Member
Gold Member

Forks Identification

Post by KDX20098 »

Thank you everyone for pointing me in the right direction. I know where to start now and I have some more resources to use!