Scotts Dampner issue

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotts Dampner issue

Post by bradf »

The base plate has to be changed on my Scotts. The difference in position of the top clamp between the KDX and the KX in relation to the centerline of the stem created an offset. This was evident by the dampning arm pushing the rigid post down through it's adjuster collar when the front was turned back and forth. After a few turns of the bars the adjustable post would be shoved down so far it was barely making contact with the arm. $66 for a proper KX base plate from Scotts fixed this.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

That stinks, how did you have your damper mounted? Mine is upside down and in looking at Inda's it looks like he got away with using his KDX parts. If I have to buy a new plate, I'll probably convert to fat bars.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sorry.... no.

I had to order the Scott's KX top clamp 'cause the angle is different on the KX vs. the KDX clamps. 'bout $78 I think....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I am just glad I found it before the first ride. Lat night the Scotts guy had me make some measurements (page 13 of the owners manual). I actually had the bars off 3 times re-adjusting the post, wondering how it was always so low. Just another cost for the conversion.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

damn, That's gonna delay my conversion even more then. I was hoping to start this week, but I'm all outta bike money. I really needed new bars anyway, so hopefully I can go to the fat bars without changing the upper triple clamp. shoulda got a KX or YZ! :blink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220