What forks?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
clinton
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

What forks?

Post by clinton »

I am sure the question has been asked plenty of times.what forks are the best replacement on the kdx 200 1995?The aluminum frame conversion does not seem to make sense it is not lighter and I have ridden a few and I don't see what all the fuss is about.I race my kdx in about 10 or 12 enduros every year and ride the knobby line in our trials club sometimes and a few harescrambles per year.It gets used.I was waiting for Kawasaki to offer another enduro bike but have given up on that.I considered the kxf 250 but hate mx transmissions for enduro and 19 inch wheels and so on.I do like my oem Revalved and sprung forks except for the high speed stuff.Unless Beta or GasGas come out with a 200 soon I guess I will rebuild the kdx again.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: What forks?

Post by KDXGarage »

Some version of KX forks that you can still buy a variety of spring rates for. I think 1996 and newer
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
clinton
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by clinton »

Thank you sir.Threre is so much info out there it will make ur head spin.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Well, I looked, and they only offer .44, .46 and .48 for the springs that "I think" fit 1996 - 2001. Do check on fork spring availability for your weight before deciding on any brand or model of forks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

What forks?

Post by SS109 »

The best... Ohlins RXF 48's! :mrgreen: I know, a little overkill. I really liked the '96 KX125 forks I had on my old KDX and like the '06 KX250f forks on my current KDX even more.

IMO, any USD fork from about '96 and up is a major iprovement over the best reworked KDX factory fork. The conventional forks off a '98 RM250 are excellent. Also any Showa or KYB forks from '06 and up are great. I've been thinking about trying the Showa SFF forks from a '12 or '13 KX250f. I would just avoid the air forks but that's just me.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

The 96-98 rm250 conventional forks are great
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
clinton
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by clinton »

I had been thinking of the more modern kxf fork.Not the air fork.But wondered how much more of a hassle that would be.I would have to find some first.I am going to see if I can find the rm forks.Thanks!
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

They're all about the same amount of work except for a select few like the KLX 300 and kx500 front ends. With the RM or kxf you will need the entire front end and have to do a stem swap
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.