01 KX250 vs KLX250 forks? vs other

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
iswenson

Post by iswenson »

Hi guys,

I have a lot of options for a fork conversion, and I am trying to decide what would be best. I have a 2004 KDX220R with stock forks (re-shimmed and heavier XR400 springs). I ride in New England (Maine), and am a C rider. I am 6' tall and weight 180 lbs. I am starting to get fast enough that I am loosing confidence in the front end, specifically on fast uphill rocky (small boulder) sections. I can't find a good adjustment with these forks that provides enough plushness on roots and sharp ledges, but is also able to withstand larger rocks and other stuff. Starting to look at other bikes, but I would need to cough up ~$2000 to get something I would want, and I am really comfortable with the KDX power delivery - so I think a fork swap may be a good idea.

Anways, I have a few options:
    A local guy has a set of 01 KX250 KYB's with the KX triples and a set of KDX triples for $200 (may be able to talk him down slightly).
      I saw a set of KLX250 forks DIRT CHEAP on Ebay ($75 bucks). No tripple or anything

And then there are a lot of other random YZ/RM/CR/WP etc forks. I haven't committed to anything yet, so my question is what should I get, and what will end up giving me the best bang for my buck? My concern with any moto forks is I will have to get them rebuilt/sprung/seals to make them work in the woods. On the other side of it, forks from dedicated woods bikes seem to be more expensive, and I haven't read alot of conversions using WP or Marzocchi forks.

Anyways I would love to hear some suggestions. I am leaning towards the KX forks as the guy is local, and it seems this is the most common. Plus with the extra set of tripples, I can send them off to RB designs to have the tripple / stem all sorted.
      6 Riders
      Gold Member
      Gold Member

Re: 01 KX250 vs KLX250 forks? vs other

Post by 6 Riders »

When I had my forks built, the suspension guy told me that the 2004+ Showa's are the forks to get for a KDX. You can find these, mainly, on Honda's. Another great fork is the 96-99(?) RM conventionals. Those are great forks for woods bikes.
      I would Steer clear of the klx 250 forks, IMO they aren't enough improvement to justify the cost of the swap.

Some things to remember are; You'll need the whole front end, brakes, wheel et al. Most Kawasaki kx forks do use the same brakes as the kdx.

I love my RM front end, but I think the total cost of the swap was $500+, including having the forks rebuilt and re-sprung.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
      newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
      masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
      *side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
      iswenson

Post by iswenson »

Will the RM forks fit the KDX clamps on the tripple, or are they too big/small
      iswenson

Post by iswenson »

iswenson

Post by iswenson »

6 Riders
      Gold Member
      Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

That'll work! The kdx stem will need to be pressed into the RM triple, I'm pretty sure you'll need the brake caliper as well as a matching wheel. There is a post in the fork convention section where someone did that same front end. I suggest you read through his posts on what he had to do.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
      newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
      masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
      *side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
      Dave B
      Supporting Member I
      Supporting Member I

Post by Dave B »

Maybe double check your ebay links. The forks are USD's and the triples I believe are for conventionals. I don't think they will work together.
      osobad
      Gold Member
      Gold Member

Post by osobad »

those forks are not usd they are conventional but twin chamber. predecessor to modern usd showa's. I am one of those people who have done this swap and prefer it to the usd. either one will be an upgrade. I wouldn't bother with the klx forks
      doakley
      Gold Member
      Gold Member

Post by doakley »

You described my complaint with the KDX stock forks almost exactly. I can’t give a report yet, but I’m putting a set of 01 Kx250 forks on mine. I bought them on eBay and got
      Lucky. When I took them to the suspension shop, my guy discovered they already had Gold Valves in them. He rebuilt and revalved them for me. We talked about what I was looking for and he felt I would be very happy with them as modified. Worth the money to me to have someone who understands what to do set them up. I got them back with a list of settings to start the clickers at and how far to have them come above the upper clamps. I should have everything together in a couple of weeks and will post after I have a little time with them.
      One thing, there are a lot of little things you don’t think about that add up, fork protectors, new wheel bearings, etc. I’ll wind up with between $500-600 in the swap when done.
      In
      Dave B
      Supporting Member I
      Supporting Member I

Post by Dave B »

My apologies, i checked again when I clicked the link the page didnt fully open and I now see I opened a second link withim the page that was "check out this similar item". They were listed as 96-00 rm forks but were USD.
      My bad!
      iswenson

Post by iswenson »

OK I may pull the trigger on the RM forks... I have a 97 RMX-250 as well that needs some attention. I may just clean that up and try it first. I liked the power delivery on the KDX220 more, but the RMX deff has more balls to it, and the suspension seems a little more refined.

Anybody got details on RMX suspension?
      kawabunga

Post by kawabunga »

I have a recently acquired 93' RMX 250 that has the U.D. 45mm O.C. works, and had a revelation about what a good swap these would be on a KDX. The valving, and spring are very in the ballpark for 180 lb single tracker. I just rebuilt them, and they work great! Slowing the rebound a couple clicks, front and rear, made a major difference! The appeal of these, is that you would not need to re-valve, or spring, like a lot of motocross forks. They are also fairly cheap. After spending a lot of time getting 03' KTM forks to work half as well, and spending money to have a professional re-valve my 03' YZ250 forks (twice),and not coming out as well, I am thankful for this lucky accident.
      My KDX (developed, RB, jetting etc.) runs neck, and neck with a slightly tired RMX. This is my first Suzuki, and the basic chassis goodness of this thing is impressive.
      reviving old war-horse.
      doakley
      Gold Member
      Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Forgot I promised a ride report on my 01 KX250 fork conversion. WHOOPEEEEE!
      I couldn't be more pleased with them. I've run two hare scrambles now and will be doing my 1st enduro since the conversion next weekend. To me it was absolutely worth the cost and also worth the added cost of having a respected suspension guy set them up for me. Go for it!