Who would buy? Shorter shock links to balance new forks.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Who would buy? Shorter shock links to balance new forks.

Post by IdahoCharley »

I contacted a guy who manufactures longer linkage for lowering of KDXs. I suggested he may have a market for selling some shorter links to help folks with balancing out their KX front ends.

He responded back to me and we exchanged a couple of notes with a few other ideas for related items.

I gave him the address for this KDXRIDER.NET site and also for the DRN site and suggested that he should take a look.

He owns a KDX this was one response - "Thanks for the info. I love my KDX! Had an xr250 that needed replacing a few years back. I was never much on two strokes for trail riding but tried a KDX and wouldn't ride anything else now. We ride in the woods, mainly, with tight and narrow trails. I've got a hight-ratio sprocket set and torque pipe on it - it handles the tight spots like a goat.
I'll see if I can find a KX and measure the forks. I can figure the correct tie rod length from that. I've got a manual milling machine now so setting up for something new is a chore. I just bought a CNC machine. Once I learn to use it I can make these parts a lot cheaper. I made a bracket for the kick stand on my bike but haven't tried to sell any. I may do that. "

My thought is that you guys who have made the change to KX forks may want to give some input as to what you would like to see made available (that could be made with a milling machine). Also areas of concern - has anyone made any shorter linkage already or modified any and ran into any issues? e.g. Clearance problems with shock due to angle change?

Suggest something like - i.e. Like to have linkage available to raise my seat height 1/2 inch as measured at the seat mounting bolts: Would be interested in an stand extention that was 5/8 inch longer and/or a relocation bracket kit. Put me down as "interested" and show me what you got.

I'm hesitant to post his e-mail address here - but I will contact him with this related thread information after, or if, there is some interest - heck he may even see it and post himself.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

They are already made....
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I haven't gotten mine converted over yet, but if I run into trouble with the rear, I'd be interested. I think I Might be more interested in keeping the ride height the same though. As in, knowing what do you do to the forks internally to shorten them a little. I'm a short guy, and not looking forward to spectacular get-offs on some of the low speed rocky terrain I ride on. :blink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

My bike is tall enough as it is. I made links to lower the rear 1/2" and dropped the forks too. I am 5'10, 165lbs. and can now touch ground with the balls of my feet.

*EDIT* Ooops, forgot to mention, that's with the KX forks.
Last edited by KDX220PHIL on 01:00 pm Mar 09 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

With your KX forks Phil? If so, that's encouraging. My '03 KX forks look crazy-tall just sitting next to the bike.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Fuzzy - Any clearance issues? How much shorter are yours? Any problems?

I'am assuming you had one set made for yourself. Any available commerically that you are aware of?
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I would have loved a taller bike but I think with the taller seat foam I may be OK. I will see after a test ride. With my flat on the ground there is still about a 3' gap to my nutsicles (with tall seat). The main problem I have is standing and being able to grip the bike with my knees. Its impossible. My knees are a few inches above the seat. The new seat foam should help some but I really need lower pegs I think. I'm 6'5 BTW.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Mine seems to feel pretty balanced now. So what do these shock links do? Lower or raise the back end? I just adjusted the forks in the clamps to kind of level the bike out alittle. It feels fine with the stock ones though.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Shorter = taller seat height
Longer = shorter seat height

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

No clearance issues on mine except the tire wants to hit the stock silencer a little when the bike is bottomed. I guess my odiginal comment was referring to the fact that Devol or Kouba makes linkages units for the KDX already, don't they?

Oh yeah, my WR has devol lowering links on it. It wasn't lowered for rider height issues, but from what I read they mead these to fix a certain geometry issue that was solved by lowering the rear of the bike 1/2."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

1. I would not want my bike any taller than OEM..indeed I use Devol pull rods in the 'longer' configuration (lower seat heighth).

2. As a longer pull rod enhances shock action (more movement) a shorter rod would lessen it.

re:'... but from what I read they mead these to fix a certain geometry issue '

Consider: It's possible to have 11" of wheel travel and 1/2" of shock travel. That small amount of shock shaft movement would make it quite difficult if not impossible to tune your shock.

Exaggeration for the purpose of making a point.......

This said in other places...it's a good idea(**edit** of course, it's MY idea!!) to check the level of your bike..its OEM attitude...before you swap the front end. If you don't, you will never know what to set the new forks TO (if you want the SAME attitude it HAD with the OEM forks).

**edit** Before you start your fork project place your bike upright on level ground, place a level on the seat/tank, mark the end(s) of the tool. After fork r/r, put the bike in the same place, place the level in the same spot, adjust the forks to make the bike level as it was.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 05:11 pm Mar 13 2006, edited 3 times in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

GOod point.