The final posting.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's how you check it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Take it off and put it on a flat surface.

LMAO A dial indicator, he doesn't have a impact wrench I doubt he would have one of those. :roll:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Ryan, I'm talking about having a bike shop do the seals. Thats gonna cost you around $150 give or take to do all that. Unless you can do it yourself. I just spent over $100 on tools to rebuild my KX forks. Thats what it costs around here unless you know someone. That would include seals, new oil and cleaning the forks out. I just bought a set of seals and dust wipers from a dealer for around $45. The oil was around $8 a quart.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ya i figured you were talking about a dealer. Im gonna try to do them myself, the first time will be alot and not too much after that. The forks im looking at dont need seals so that is good.

I also emailed a guy for 96 kx125 forks. They are stock and need seals and have a few chips. I asked how much for the axel and spacers(i need them) and he said $350 for those two things shipped :butthead: . I should have said your crazy but i really want his axel. :mrgreen:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well im snipeing a set of 97 kx250 forks tommorow, i also have another guy selling me an axel with all the stuff for $20 and the guy with the forks said he would take $30 for the triple tree. I will let you all know how it goes.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

FIngers crossed, good luck...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

>|<>QBB<
Ryan wrote:whats a runout dial indicator.... no
How did you know that wheel you were selling on ebay was true and no bends? :wink: your eyeball-indicator?
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i knew it was fine because i had it sent to a shop, and because i eyeballed it. Also my brakes would not rub in certain areas when it was mounted. This rotor has a medium size bend. Im not sure if i should ask the guy for money for a new one or not.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Was it packed securely when it was shipped. I know our postal service is like Jim Carey in Ace Ventura. :rolleyes:

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

it was packed in a ton of bubble wrap and some plastic stuff, not in a box though, thats what i think may have bent it. WEll i won the kx forks. Now a can begin everything. I won them for $51.00, and i sent him $20 for shipping and $30 extra for the triple tree. So $101 for all that aint bad. All together so far $201, for everything except springs, and new oil.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Hmmm, I'd send him an email and see what he says. Is that $201 minus the $$$ you got for your wheel ??

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well i got $222.50 for my wheel and spent $100 on the kx one with a new tire, forks with guards, and the triple tree. All i need is the new springs and oil. I think. I also got $200 for my forks, so i have $321.50 to fnish everything.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Did ya lose a dollar ?? :? :lol:

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

I am going to take aprt my forks and i have some questions. I bought a impact wrench and a 14mm allen socket for the base thing. If i take that out will the forks come apart?? I looked at that service thing on this site and i got confused.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: You need to compress the forks and use the impact and allen socket to remove the compression valve assembly from the bottom of the forks. Then you can drain the oil out the bottom of the forks. Remove the top cap and the spring and rebound assembly should come out in one piece. You should really tear that apart as well and clean all of those pieces up but if you just want to change the seals you can leave it intact. Once the internals are out of the forks you should be able to slide the fork tubes apart like the service instructions that Inda linked up show. Pretty much do the reverse to reinstall.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

the oil is out already, i will put the springs back in. Will they come right apart or will i have to pull them apart??? I know with my honda i had to pull realy really hard.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250