XR400 fork swap

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
kevinlanglois22

XR400 fork swap

Post by kevinlanglois22 »

I know theres a lot of talk about XR400 springs in the KDX forks, but has anyone actually just swapped the forks? This would be on an E KDX. They're the same diameter so I imagine I would just need fork legs, axle, wheel, and possibly caliper? The XR is a little heavier than the KDX, so I could put a lighter spring in it, but the valving and stuff shouldn't be too far off and may be close enough to just adjust the clickers... I'd like to hear if anyone has done this, and what the outcome was..

thank you
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: XR400 fork swap

Post by KDXGarage »

Are you certain of the width that the forks are apart? It would have to be the same axle / hub width to slide into the KDX triple clamps.

1996 - 1997 is .38 Kg / mm.
1998 - 2004 is .40 Kg / mm.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: XR400 fork swap

Post by Friedom »

I've got a set of worked over xr4 forks in the garage. They do slide right into the kdx triples. Width is not an issue as the design of the xr axle clamp allows for variance in the width without affecting spacers.
You'll need everything from the forks down, the caliper is not the same, and the axle diameter is larger so the kdx wheel won't work.

As for the valving and springs, can't help you there as my xr forks came with springs for a 220# rider and custom valving.

I'm hoping to slide the xr front end onto my buddie's dr650 and see how he likes cartridge forks. Springs should be about right for the bigger bike and with a caliper relocate bracket he can use his front wheel.