Advice on which conversion to do

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
muddymike

Advice on which conversion to do

Post by muddymike »

I'm looking to get a quick turn around on the fork conversion so my options right now are drz250 or '91 kx 500. Maybe klx forks. I am mostly looking for rigidity as I like going fast through tight tech woods and need my bike to go where I point it quickly which leads me to the kx forks but everyone seems to think the '91s are still crap. Would I be happy with the drz forks? I know its an upgrade but is the flex still bad? Also I have a '90 kdx and I want fat bars so if I did drz swap would need kdx C or H top clamp. Anybody know if C clamp is the same as H? Its half the cost.

The kx swap is cheaper by almost $100 but would prolly require revalve(which I would attempt). I weigh 175 w/gear so I don't think I need diff spring weights for either (drz .38kg/mm, kx .39) So would I be better off waiting for newer kx forks? Would the drz forks be stiff enough? My reason for thinking in this direction is my stock forks need stiffer springs, the front wheel crawls up the sides of ruts then let loose or goes in another direction then where I point it (into trees) in muddy g-out type situations and I can't find anything but .40-.46kg/mm triple rate springs.

I would like a quick turn around but would hate to do something in a rush and then regret it later.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Advice on which conversion to do

Post by Friedom »

Hey! I posted about the DRZ forks conversion. I just did my first single track day with them on Sunday, and I'm really happy with them. I've never tried KX forks though.

From what I've read, if your frame is designed for conventional forks, then it's not designed for USDs. In theory, this only matters if you're riding hard enough to be close to threshold.
I probably don't ride that hard.

I've read that USD resists flex better due to the larger part of the fork being on top, but conventionals are better for trail riding. That's a huge sweeping statement that might actually be true in some cases, but there are so many different forks and technology out there that it's hard to say how true it'll be for the forks you're considering.

I'm just rambling now, but I weigh the same as you geared up. What year and model is your steed?

I have a set of xr400 forks that I picked up locally. The guy had them revalved for his racing before he went to a crf450f, and they have springs for a 220# rider in them. I haven't actually used them as I just finally found axle clamps that were missing when I bought. They're another bolt on solution though. Let me know if you might be interested, they slide into your 43mm trees and come with all brake parts, axle, spacer, clamps, just need a wheel.
muddymike

Post by muddymike »

Thank you. Thats exactly the kind of info im looking for. I ride a '90 200. How does the stock spring in the drz fork feel? I will pm you about the xr wheel.
muddymike

Post by muddymike »

Ok it appears there is a god and he wants me to be happy. Just today a '01 kx 125 complete front end showed up locally. We agreed on S100 for everything so I'm picking it up tomorrow. I think I will be doing both conversions picking up kx 125 front end tomorrow and ordering drz 250 forks, brake and front wheel aswell as the triple from a "C" kdx which gives me 2 kdx triples (1 of which has a top clamp that can be upgraded to fat bars and the other can be sent off for rb stem swap) so that I can put on the drz swap quickly and be able to ride in the interim then rebuild the kx 125 forks and send triples to RB and put on the USD forks sometime this winter.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Whoa. That came together nicely! I'd sure love to hear about your results in comparisons!