Easiest/cheapest fork upgrade e series

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Jasper

Easiest/cheapest fork upgrade e series

Post by Jasper »

Hello what is the easiest and cheapest but also best fork upgrade for an e series kdx( 91)
Is it possible to just change the tubes or can i upgrade my original tubes?
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Easiest/cheapest fork upgrade e series

Post by Friedom »

A drz250, xr400, xr250, late model dr350 all have better 43mm cartridge forks that will slide into your triples.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

But you'll have to probably get the wheels and axles to match.

Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

What don't you like about the forks, the under-hang? I hear a lot of gripe about KDX forks and I don't understand where it comes from, maybe old issues of dirt rider magazine with mx guys testing them in corners or something? I always thought the suspension was very well designed for slow tight rocky single track, they float. My only complaint is the under-hang so I switched my '91 to the '93-'94 USD's and love, love, love them.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

The USDs are at last cartridge forks. I have a 92 and had a 93, both 200s. I noticed the 92 oil dampers were pretty harsh at speed. The 93 with USDs did pretty good, but I couldn't increase the rebound damping, and I was used to being able to from my trusty ol' DR.
Yes you can absolutely ride with stock suspension, and have a blast. But on an otherwise sorted DX, it's one of the most limiting factors. At least that's what I read :dunno

Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

One of the best things is to get the proper springs for your weight and riding style. I used to complain about my suspension, but once I got the proper springs, it made a world of difference. That's where I would go first. I ride the rocks and roots of New England and have never had a problem with the fork underhang. You could also go with RaceTech cartridge emulators, I heard they also make a huge difference, maybe someone on here has them.