Balancing the KDX after the fork conversion

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDX200Kev

Balancing the KDX after the fork conversion

Post by KDX200Kev »

In addition to sliding the forks in the triple clamp there are other things you can do to help aid the re-balancing. Because I have a WER steering damper I cannot slide the fork in the triple clamp to the same extent as if I did not have it. Otherwise I would risk having my tire hit the fender on full compression. :hmm: So I am only sliding my forks up a 1/2 inch or less in the upper triple clamp and adjusting the rest with a taller rear tire, and reducing my suspension racing sag. Even if you do not have a WER you can use these methods to change your handling. Attached is a good article regarding balancing your bike. http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/handling/

Last edited by KDX200Kev on 01:04 am Mar 05 2006, edited 1 time in total.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Just my opinion of course, so take it or leave it; I would not try to balance a bike based on race sag for the rear. The suspension performace is pretty touchy with that adjustment. Changing the dog bones on the rear linkage will change the rear ride height more appropriately.

I've always liked taller tires for dirt bike/trail riding. I find they offer increased cushion for the rider by allowing lower air pressures and still prevent rim flats. However, it will affect gearing.

Personnally, I didn't find a need, other than sliding the forks up the clamps 1/2 inch to find a very ridable balance. Are you having an issue with the ride height of the KX forks?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDX200Kev

Post by KDX200Kev »

Originally I did not think of using a taller rear tire to raise the rear of the bike. Thus, I was thinking of using shorter links to do it. One disadvantage of shorter links is it reduces travel. Anyway this is the response I received from Mr Kouba from Kouba links regarding raising the rear end of my bike.

"The 02 KDX200/220 links are 112.5 mm's long stock, (most have 112.5 stamped on the side) I would think you would require approx 3 mm shorter links to raise the rear by 1/2 inch, so believe you are correct on the length. We are showing the stock 98-03 KX80 links are 111 mm's eye to eye, and seem to remember you can get them slightly longer or shorter from Kawasaki. The eyes would have to be drilled out from 12 mm to 15 mm. That is as close as we can find to the 110 mm's. Lessoning the rear sag 1/2 inch may be the best as that does basically the same thing and leaves more travel remaining.

Thanks for your inquiry and sorry for the late reply.

Norm

Norman Kouba"