A ponder ive been having

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

A ponder ive been having

Post by Ryan »

When doing the kx switch do you have to take into accoun the weight of the bike. For example the 2000 kx250 weights 214lbs dry the kdx weights 223 pounds dry. The 2000 kx125 weights only 192 pounds. The suspesion is meant to hold that bike plus the person on it. The stock suspension from a kx125 with stock springs are meant to hold a 167 pound person. So if i got a kx forks stock then would have have to add the extra kdx bike weight to my weight. Since the kdx weighs 31 pounds more would i add that to my weight if i was looking to get new springs?

If you are confused let me know and i will try to explain some more.

this would seem to make sense but is it correct.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes. Arithmetically speaking, the suspension works with the weight of the rider AND the bike. The two add together to come up with the mass and inertia factors that need to be dealt with to arrive at a working suspension solution.

In the real world, what works is what works. Arguably the KX being out-of-the-box sprung heavier for its application may work well in the woods with a heavier bike. Whatever argument you want to make, the proof of the pudding is still in the eating. Choose a spring rate the fits you, your riding style, your environs AND the bike you are riding.

Anecdotally speaking, I ran .38s in my OEM forks, I'm running .38s in my KX forks. What bike my forks came off of, or where that bike was intended to work best wasn't my concern.

My pudding tastes very good..and that suits me! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

alright, well i think im gonna try to get some 99-02 forks. Hmm were to start
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250