Which forks are which

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Which forks are which

Post by Friedom »

I've been researching for like months to find a compiled reference of forks. Who used what for what? Not for swaps, per se, but the stock setups.
Is there no list documenting what forks used on RMs, KX's, YZ's, and their dual sport/trail counterparts? I keep reading that the KX swap is most popular to put on the KDX, but what year? Years? Groups of years? Ugggg I almost want to make a list myself, but I can't find the information to build it out of. Help! It's my Google fu just that bad?

Edit: here's a little useful chart to start with:

Fork Tube Sizes PDF

"Fun Wheel Drive"
Last edited by Friedom on 09:53 am May 14 2017, edited 2 times in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Which forks are which

Post by KDXGarage »

racetech and look up every make and model for every year since '89?? when they started coming with usd forks. Report back soon. :partyman: :bravo: :lol: :razz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
5-SpeedXJ

Post by 5-SpeedXJ »

All balls racing has a list as well for the common stem bearing.

I went with kx500 forks bolt on and go with a kx wheel and hub etc.
02 KDX 200
Boyesen 607 Power Reed
Pro Circuit Pipe
Pro Circuit Factory 304
RB Carb Mod
Trail Tech Computer
Horn
DC Power Conversion "Lighting Circuit"
KX500 Forks
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Any year kx500?

"Fun Wheel Drive"
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes and up to 1991 for KX125 / KX250.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

But I'm trying to learn what the specs and performance characteristics are of the different ones. Did 97 rock and 96 blow? What were the diameters? Cartridge? Valving? Chambers? Manufacturers?
I can't be the only one looking for this information!

"Fun Wheel Drive"
KDW
Supporting Member

Which forks are which

Post by KDW »

MX forks, with a few exceptions I would imagine, are always improving in performance. To include every brand and model since 1989 in your list will be a long list and I am not sure you won't find an MX blog or topic post on it. I think for us KDX guys you have a few options.

Simple upgrade -> KX500 or KLX300 forks and springs. Money is the driver behind this choice so spending money on valving is a bit of waste and you might as well start looking at MX forks because the initial cost isn't that much more.

or

Keep your eyes open and see what happens to fall in your lap and figure out how to make it work with a little machining and valving.

or

Buy the newest forks you can afford and make them work with a little machining and valving.

I considered the MX forks for my bike but decided that the cost of the forks, cost making them fit and cost of making them work well on the trail was more than I was willing to put into a bike I bought for $800 and already have a blast on. I did the KLX300 swap on a 92 (more work than the 95+) and am still buttoning things up and waiting for good day to get out of the city to test them. I am happy enough that I have no underhang or laid back riser. Sure it's a primitive USD cartridge fork by MX standards but it should be a good improvement over the 92 damp rod forks never the less.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I see deals come up all the time, but actually getting useful info about them is hard. There's a set of 99 WP 50mm USD forks and triples for sale locally for $100. I'd need need to get a wheel, axle and caliper to complete it, but I don't know if they're any good or what tech they are. Grr

"Fun Wheel Drive"
KDW
Supporting Member

Which forks are which

Post by KDW »

I would find a local "friendly" suspension shop that might answer your questions about performance. As far as fit goes you kinda just need to dive in and commit. 100 dollars isn't a huge loss so why not take a risk. Get them home and start measuring stuff up. It's not that hard to get the front end off your bike. If it looks like a big hassle then turn around and sell them. But there is allot of information on this site about swaps that have already been performed. I would be tempted to stick with what has worked in the past. At least you will know what your in for. Saving a couple hundred on a set of forks that have not been proven to work could cost a couple hundred dollars down the road and allot of headaches. But people need to pioneer these things before they are proven so it's up to how much risk and work and money you are willing to put in.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Valid points. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

You also need to remember, Forks that didn't work well in MX, might be heaven sent in the woods. My builder told me that any Showa from 2004 on (mainly from the Hondas) is a "dream" fork for me and my riding style. I'm running Showas off of a 95 RM now and love them.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type